PDA

View Full Version : Going to the US for FAA ATPL

Maggi
17th Jun 2004, 21:44
Heya buddies,

after some bad experiences with the JAR medical, the only
chance to get an ATPL, is in the US for me. I have some problems
with my eyes, which do not allow me to get a JAR medical, but it is no problem to get a FAA medical...

I am now planing and calculating as much as I can to realize my dream in the US, which means, that I don't can go there for training only, but I really have to give up my home and settle down there for the rest of my life (more or less).

So, I am now trying to get a greencard, which will be the best to ensure a lifelong residence permit and also a work permition.
After that, I have to talk to my bank about the loan etc.
I will get my FAA medical class 1 here, to ensure that everything is alright before I start.

Now the adventure starts:
What school should I take in the US?
Is it better to do it at different schools or stay at only one?
Until which licence should I go? multi IFR CPL? CFI, CFII, MEI?
How are the chances to get a proper job after the training?
How can I handle the costs beside the basics, like accomodation etc.?

What would you do in my situation? Is it worth it? Does it work?

Last but not least, am I stupid to do so much to get my dream to be reality?

Thanks to everyone, who can help me!!!

PPRuNe Towers
17th Jun 2004, 22:24
Maggi,

There are new recommendations by the NTSB regarding eyesight standards following a serious accident.

While the FAA usually disegard these recommendations it would be possible for clever use of the media to result in tightening up standards towards the JAA ones. Please tread very carefully in terms of financial outlay until you've seen an American examiner and found what class of licence you could qualify for and whether your particular deficiency might be involved in the calls for higher standards.

Regards
Rob Lloyd

Maggi
17th Jun 2004, 23:22
The deficiency is about my stereoscopic vision....
JAR requirements say that people with significant
lost of their Stereopsis must be seen as unfit.
I don't think, they will change it in the US...

What about the rest of my thousands of questions?
Who has got experience with that?

Thanks alot!

EGAC_Ramper
18th Jun 2004, 05:32
Sadly I'm in the same boat Maggi,found to my dismay from my AME b4 I went to get the Class 1 JAA medical just incase,just aswell!!! That my left eye passes the medical with my right eye falling outside the limits by 1.20.So I'm looking at the FAA CPL too but did read on the CAA website if your eyes reach the renewal/revalidation standards to contact the CAA.Which I duely did and they have told me to send in opticians report and they will look at it with possible view to a medical allowance for my
eye(s)
Maybe you should check this out aswell,though I'm not ounting my chickens on this but have also checked the FAA and my eyesight is good to go for that!:rolleyes:

PicMas
18th Jun 2004, 08:48
Are you able to get a greencard? How?

Unless you have one lined up I would say, that is your major concern right now. You could try the diversity lottery, if you are not already in it.

-Until which licence should I go? multi IFR CPL? CFI, CFII, MEI?-

Depends what you want to do. Most likely you will do your hourbuilding as instructor (wrong way to put it).

-How can I handle the costs beside the basics, like accomodation etc.?-

This will sound stupid but... Get A Job!!! waitressing is a possibility.

I wouldn't worry too much about which school etc. until you have the workpermit!

J o e r g
18th Jun 2004, 15:49
.... well, I second pretty much all said above: straighten out your visa, residence & health issues first.

Don't forget your financial funding. Many folks think too much with their heart rather with their head.

There are lots of good schools from coast to coast. I don't know them all - but I can recommend www.allatps.com

Best,

Joerg

Maggi
18th Jun 2004, 22:29
Thanks for your help guys....all the above sounds very true to me!

Hey Jörg, how have you done it? It seems that you are also from Germany, could you send me a PM, perhaps?

Thx!

Martin1234
19th Jun 2004, 00:47
PPRuNe Towers, what accident did you refer to?

Thanks.

2close
19th Jun 2004, 10:18
Hi Martin 1234,

Sorry to interrupt, guys, but I think PPRuNe Towers is referring to the July 2002 accident at Tallahassee, Florida where a FedEx Cargo 727 got too low on short finals at night and collided with trees, resulting in the AC being severely damaged and the crew seriously injured.

The NTSB cites a number of factors in reaching its conclusions but of significance for CVD pilots are their recommendations regarding colour vision testing, although, as has been stated in the medical forum on colour blindness, the FAA does not have to act on these recommendations and apparently often tend not to do so.

If you go to www.ntsb.gov , click on Accident Reports in the Data & Information Products section, select Most Recent Accidents the summary is top of the list.

Best Regards,

2close

shortscot2
27th Jun 2004, 23:48
Hi Maggi,

I have completed all my training in the US with the intention of going back home and converting although at the moment I am also trying to get my greencard, while working as a flight instructor building hours. I am currently at Phoenix East Aviation in Florida and I really do have no complaints to my training I found that I could work as fast or as slow as I wanted and if I had any problems there was always someone willing to help. They also run a tutoring program which can save you a lot on ground training. The planes are gradually being updated and they have a very nice fleet of 172's, majority of which have GPS. The weather is generally pretty good with the exceptions of the afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but these are generally predictable and you can work around them.

If you do get a greencard this is a good time to start training, at the school I am at there have so far been 15 people hired in the last 6 months. Hiring appears to be on the up and from the rumours shows no signs of slowing down. The school can also organise for a loan if you have a greencard although I would check out the details before you come over.

If you have any questions please feel free to email or I will try and watch the post.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
28th Jun 2004, 10:11
If you are serious about getting a green card the only sensible option you have is to marry a US citizen. Go into the states on a two year J-1 visa, work as a CFI and find someone to marry. I'm sure that some must do it for love but those that I know who've done it have paid money. Yes, that is illegal and will get you into trouble if you are caught. There are plenty of dreamers out there who think that all that you need to do is whisper in the right ear and you will be issued with a green card. Sorry, this is not the case. Maggi, if you are not prepared to marry an American stay where you are and forget about being a pilot.

If you do obtain a green card you may well land a job with a regional airline. Expect to be worked very hard, be away from home, stuck in some depressing motel most of the time in an obscure US backwater. As for money, regional FO's are very badly paid. If you want to fly for a major airline, be prepared for a long wait. Some are recalling laid off pilots but with US Airways likely to close soon, there will be plenty of better qualified applicants ahead of you.

Maggi, I think that you need to think much harder about the implications of your plans!