PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground School Textbooks

eyuppp
16th Jun 2004, 08:39
Hi all,

I'm looking at various schools for ATPL studies, and was wondering what support text books people recommend?

I realise that schools may provide notes etc, but there are several other books out there such as;

Oxford ATPL training manuals available from Transair (lots of them!)

or

Ground Studies for Pilots by Underdown and Palmer (cheaper and not as many)

to name just a few.

Just wondered what people thought who are currently undertaking this, or previously done it?

Cheers

E:ok:

Airkef
16th Jun 2004, 08:57
I recommend you Bristol!
Others will confirm I believe :ok:

silverknapper
16th Jun 2004, 10:37
If you go to a school you will be issued with their notes. These should be enough to get you through, I wouldn't worry about books just yet. You mention the Oxford stuff on transair. These are the notes you would get if you went to oxford, not supplementary reading.
I went to Bristol, good notes and didn't buy any books. I also know Oxfords are good. Indeed there are tons of good notes. Think you need to research more.

eyuppp
16th Jun 2004, 17:11
Thanks both,

I'm researching schools at the moment, though I haven't decided which one to attend I thought that I might get one or two books beforehand, make a bit of a headstart without committing at this stage.

But from what you've said, they are the notes (not supportive texts) and should be sufficient. Will read round a bit more and thanks once again:ok:

silverknapper
16th Jun 2004, 20:35
If its a head start you're after you won't go wrong buying 1 or 2 subjects from a good school such as Bristol for the more tricky subjects and getting the head down. If you are going D/L thats not as much of an advantage as classroom as you would be at your own pace anyway.
Subjects I think are trickiest:
Met
Instruments
Performance
But could be just me!!

SK