PDA

View Full Version : Path to become MAJOR's Pilot? how? which?

fhchiang
12th Jun 2004, 10:29
if i fail to get into any cadet program and have to self-sponsor to get atpl...

what's the best path? to earn the hours need.. and type-rating?

becomming an instructor after graduating and earn valueble hours before applying?

i'll self sponsor my training in Adelaide, Australia at BAe SYSTEMS flight training.

The school has good reputation and currently provides training for

Qantas, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, South African Airways, Dragonair, Emirates, Air China, Zhejiang

TRon
12th Jun 2004, 12:44
Suggest you read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649)

fhchiang
13th Jun 2004, 03:21
where is the best place to train??

of course taking financial into consideration...

is it at australia? europe, or the states?

i've read in a lot of websites stating that An Australia CPL or ATPL is highly regarded by their aviation cousins in the Europe, US, and Asia

redsnail
13th Jun 2004, 11:28
Take it from me, the Australian ATPL isn't much use in Europe. You'll have to convert it to a JAR one.
Asia, different story, it is well regarded and accepted.
Where do you want to work? What licences are used there?

Then decide where you want to train.

fhchiang
13th Jun 2004, 11:38
preferbaly.. after my ATPL./..

i want to enter maybe SIA,China Airlines, Cathay as DIRECT ENTRY F/O ...

CAL is currently recruiting Expat f/o with minimum 1500 hours..............

lol.... but 3-4 years later after i get atpl.....
it may be different case...

also..

is it wise to Do A-Levels first...?

redsnail
13th Jun 2004, 12:23
Get all your schooling out of the way first.
There's nothing stopping you from doing a private licence while you're at school

Asian airlines will accept an Australian licence. Since you're in Malaysia that might be the way forward for you. All of my friends who've got into Cathay, Dragonair and Silkair have Australian ATPLs with a significant amount of experience.

Good luck, have you thought about asking the operators what they'd like?

fhchiang
13th Jun 2004, 12:32
do i need to convert to a HK ATPL?

or i can work for ten years... 20 years... with my australian license.. and renewing my CASA class 1 medical and not hk class 1

redsnail
13th Jun 2004, 14:07
If you get into Cathay, then they sort out the appropriate exams and tuition you need to do.
Other airlines, eg MAS give you a validation, however, you must renew your Australian Instrument rating and medical every year.

It is company and country specific as to exactly what they will and won't accept. I do know that the Australian ATPL is acceptable to asian and ME airlines. It's cheaper than a JAR ATPL that's for sure. The FAA ATPL doesn't cost the earth either.

If I were you, I would spend some time researching the companies you want to work for, find out their licencing/experience requirements and their countries immigration requirements too. However, all of this is a moot point if you don't get reasonable grades at school.

fhchiang
13th Jun 2004, 14:17
well... i'm 17 this yr.. and my last year at secondary school..............

doing my O Levels this year.....

still thinking whether... i go direct flight training... or do my A Levels first....

ok so at MAS.. i can use my Australian ATPL?

!!! YEAH!!