PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ATPL Studies?

flyingdogguitar
11th Jun 2004, 13:19
Hi,
Looking to start D?L ATPL studies with probably Bristol in around two months time. Any recommendations for getting up to speed again, as I've been out of mainstream education for some time?
Is it worth reading through my old PPL stuff in addition to this?

Many Thanks

Dave

High Wing Drifter
11th Jun 2004, 14:05
Personally I think that is really good idea especially for the Gen Nav elements. However, my own opinion is that you shouldn't read any commercial material yet for two reasons:

1) They may contradict the JAA sillybus in some way and only confuse matters.

2) You have to read the notes regardless simply because of the progress tests if nothing else. But if you are too familiar you will get bored and it will be a chore.

Just my 200 Mongolian Togrogs worth,
HWD.

VFE
11th Jun 2004, 17:08
Read up on GCSE medium level maths and physics.

Maths areas to cover are:

Trigonometry.
Sine, Cosine, Tan on buttons of calculator.
Algebra.

Physics areas to cover are:

Vectors.
Moments.
Tempreture, pressure, density relationship.

A good book to read, although totally above ATPL requirements, is the AC Kermode book 'Mechanics of Flight'. That should help with the Principles of Flight exam. Do not panic if it seems difficult. If you understand all areas of that book you'll be the first!

If you plan to study with Bristol then I shouldn't worry too much as the course notes assume little prior knowledge of maths and science. If you call Bristol I believe they supply a maths/physics refresher pack for potential ATPL students/customers.

Don't worry, I never passed GCSE maths or physics but still passed ATPL's with Bristol

VFE.

Topgun 4122T
11th Jun 2004, 17:48
HI

This Is advise from me , a guy who just finished my last ATPL exam yesterday ( Air law ) a Bristol student .
The best thing you could possible do is to get the work papers or feedback from a ex Bristol student and start going througt it now .. you will get use to doing the calculations and it will all become easy to you , a great advantage to you over the other students before you even start . All the work sheets have detailed explanations at the back to show you what to do , and im sure that anybody thats finished there exams will give them to you as there no use to them anymore ,, hell you can even have mine if you want .... hope that helps ...TopGun

NinjaBill
11th Jun 2004, 19:31
Rather than waiting two months, why dont you just phone up bristol with your credit card and order the notes, that way you can get started two months earlier. IIRC once i had telephoned my CC details to them, the notes were in my hands 2 days later.

regards

NB

mrbungle
12th Jun 2004, 08:30
Hey TopGun,

Do you still have your worksheets available ?
I'm in Dublin also.

Tks.

Topgun 4122T
12th Jun 2004, 12:55
Hi Mrbungle,

Yes i sure do still have them and its all the latest ..
Do you be in Weston Aerodrome , im sure you do ?

TopGun.

mrbungle
13th Jun 2004, 09:54
I do indeeed ! Out of SkyTrace.

Doing my solo tomorrow at last, feckin weather has put it off for ages, had a bit of bad luck, crosswinds on sunny days, etc.
Getting hold of the CFI for tomorrows checkout took time also !

Yep, I passed my PPL GroundSchool exams last month and the plan is to try and blitz the rest of the PPL over summer, do some flying in USA at Christmas and then enrole for the ATPLs in the new yr.

Any help at this stage pre-Atpl would be nice, Thanks !

Rich.

mrbungle
13th Jun 2004, 21:09
Hi Topgun,

Just to let you know:
I'd be able photocopy and return your notes if needed.

Rich.

Topgun 4122T
14th Jun 2004, 20:52
Mrbungle,

Sorry about the delay replying , I should be in weston next weekend so just give me a shout if you want some work papers or if there is anything I can help you with , well all know how hard it is getting started .. Derek 0862502647

wedger
17th Jun 2004, 00:05
Topgun 4122T and Mr Bungle,
Any chance I could get in on these Bristol notes from Topgun? Also living in Dublin and flying out of Skytrace too. Sitting first Module of ATPLs in July and second Module in January through Bristol/Pan Aviation - its a long story?!!! Would love to get a copy of your notes to help with the revision.
Mr Bungle, how did your solo go? I did my PPL and lots of hr building in US - may be able to give you some advice. Maybe see you at Skytrace someday?
Regards,
Wedger

mrbungle
22nd Jun 2004, 22:47
Hi Wedger !

Solo went grand !!
20+ kt headwind, straight-ish down 25. It made for a bit of work, but no probs really !!

I'll be onto you about hour building in the states! I hope to get my PPL finished over summer and head to the states for 3-4wks in Jan.

Maybe you can PM me with some details !

Thanks,
Rich.

D-Wolf
13th Jul 2004, 19:35
Hi there.

Any chance a guy (me) from Denmark could get in on some copies of those Bristol papers ?
if so would love to get contacted.
[email protected]