PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Conversion

BritishGuy
11th Jun 2004, 11:43
I was wondering what the stance on converting an ICAO CPL Licence to a JAA CPL Licence.

I read somewhere that if I have the following flight times that I would not have to do any JAR exams (or at least minimal JAR exams):

To convert an ICAO CPL to a JAA ATPL you will need 1500 hours flight time including:

500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft,
250 hours pilot in command,
200 hours cross country,
75 hours instrument time and
30 hours night.

If you don’t have this level of experience you can still do the conversion but you will be issued a JAA CPL. When you meet the experience requirements you can upgrade it to an ATPL.

I got this from the Bristol Groundschool website. What I want to know is, if I meet these flight time requirements, can I be issued with a JAA CPL? Or are there other things I’d have to do in order to get one??

redsnail
11th Jun 2004, 11:59
ICAO is the umbrella organisation. JAA is but one region, in this case Europe. FAA are signaturies to ICAO, they control USA, CASA is another signatory, they look after Australia...
The UK CAA is part of JAA which is a part of ICAO... :D

Since in the UK (we'll use them as the example) there's hardly any one doing the CPL theory then I am not quite sure what you're trying to achieve. Most people in the UK do the ATPL exams as it covers them for the CPL and ATPL plus Performance as well as the IR subjects.

A "pure" CPL in the UK isn't that useful. There isn't much VFR GA flying. So, to gain useful employ you'll need the IR. (As well as other stuff). Since to do the CPL subjects and the IR subjects more or less duplicate the ATPL, most folks just do the ATPL and that's them done.

To get a JAR ATPL unless you have +1500 hours in command (with a TT of +3000 hours) of +30 tonne aircraft in primarily international operations then you'll have to do the 14 JAR ATPL exams. With your ICAO CPL and the JAR ATPL theory exams done, then you just need to do the flying to get the IR (min 15 hours) and the CPL check done.

The nutshell is, if you held an (eg) FAA (ICAO) CPL and got those hours, you'll still need to do either JAR CPL or ATPL exams to get a JAR licence.

Honest Fr@nk
11th Jun 2004, 12:03
You should find your answer here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF

BritishGuy
11th Jun 2004, 12:08
Not that I'm trying to pick on BGS, but then the figure that I quoted are they misleading? Or am I being a bit thick in understanding them?? I was under that impression to get a JAA CPL if the following hours are met:

1500 hours flight time including:

500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft,
250 hours pilot in command,
200 hours cross country,
75 hours instrument time and
30 hours night.

Then I'd be given a JAA CPL....Correct so far?? (I hope)

Ok, now I have this, this is JAA CPL is considered a JAA FROZEN ATPL until: I get ATPL hour requirements. Is this true?

If this isn't true, is there not something a little easier than doing 14 exams to get a bridge between the JAA CPL and JAA fATPL??

redsnail
11th Jun 2004, 12:24
Have you read LASORS? The CAA online document? It will tell you every thing you need to know regarding conversions of various licences.

The hours quoted are for an ATPL licence. This is the licence after the CPL. There's no such thing as an fATPL. That is a marketing term. The fATPL is a CPL with IR and the ATPL subjects passed.

The "f" (frozen) comes off when you have the hours stated by BGS (and LASORS).

The CPL theory consists of
Air Law
Navigation
Aircraft General Knowledge
Operational Procedures
Flight Performance and Planning
Principles of Flight
Human Performance and Limitations
Communications (VFR)
Meteorology.

To add an IR to that.
Air Law/Operational Procedures
Aircraft General KnowledgeFlight Performance and Planning
Human Performance and Limitations
Communications (IFR)
Meteorology.

So, there isn't an easy way to get onto the JAR bandwagon.
You either do all of the above OR the JAR ATPL 14 exams.

This is a top tip, don't rely purely on secondary providers for your info (no offense BGS). Bookmark the CAA SRG website and refer to LASORS in Licensing. This is what the CAA will accept.