PDA

View Full Version : Are helicopter hours just as valuable?

Air22
11th Jun 2004, 10:51
I finished my training last year and am currently trying to get in flying hours when I can. I have thought about training for my helicopter PPL as something fun and new to learn but I was wondering if the hours I would obtain were viewed as equally important as my fixed wing hours?

Ropey Pilot
11th Jun 2004, 10:59
If you are talking about going all the way to ATPL, for the isue of an ATPL(A) you may count half of the hours in any catagory from rotary. ie 750 of your 1500 total, 250 of your 500 multi crew etc etc.

As to employers opinions I don't know - 1000ish rotary, 200ish FW and not a sniff of an interview myself. But then there are many FI's with similar totals all on FW in the same boat so who knows?

jayteeto
11th Jun 2004, 22:58
I only had 250 hours fixed wing, but got an ATPL(A) using my 3800 rotary hours. It is now 3 years old and I still only have about 350 hours fixed wing....

Pirate
12th Jun 2004, 22:15
I've flown with a lot of ex-military helicopter pilots. Most ended up as excellent airline pilots but they had a real mountain to climb. If you are going the straight civvy route, stick to fixed-wing - it's far more useful and a lot cheaper.

confundemus