PDA

View Full Version : Overbooking

Toulouse
10th Jun 2004, 20:05
Overbooked flight
Just a question for any of you in the know. I booked a Spanair flight online (Spanair site) about a month ago for my sister and two of her children to fly today from Dublin to Malaga with Spanair. They arrived at the airport quite early, and checked in about two hours prior to departure, to be told the flight was overbooked and they couldn't be accepted on board. I find it quite strange that they were not able to travel having checked in so early. Nevertheless, they were put on an Iberia flight to Madrid which departed only about twenty minuted after the Spanair flight and are connecting there and will arrive at AGP early tomorrow morning (about 1 am). They were also refunded the pric of their ticket.

Now apparently, it does seem that Spanair has reacted correctly, and I know many reasons could have caused this situation, but I do know I've heard of new EU laws on overbooked flights recently (don't know if they're in force yet), but what are passengers in this situation entitled to???

Thanks for any help.

Just to keep you updated. Apparently due to a technical problem with the A 321 programmed to operate the route yesterday, this aircraft was replaced by an A 320, thus 25 passengers being unable to take it DUB-AGP. I must also say that Spanair was excellent in dealing with the situation, immediately organising flights with other airlines and paying passengers the compensation established under EU legislation. An apology for the inconvenience was even sent to me email today (the address they had from when I made the booking). Well done Spanair!!!