PDA

View Full Version : Why pilot mad at loose hardware?

Eboy
10th Jun 2004, 17:58
I was taking an A320 from Washington Dulles to LAX. Before takeoff there was a problem with an overhead bin door which would not close. A mechanic removed it, and the bin was taped over and made inaccessible. The removed door was then placed by the mechanic in the left front closet for the trip to LAX. To do this he turned it vertically and a couple of small washers and, I think, a retaining clip fell off the end of one of the hinge pins onto the aisle carpet. I saw this, thought maybe I should say something, but did not -- let the cleaners at LAX sweep it up. Well, a minute later the pilot is talking with the crew in the galley, spots the hardware on the floor, and becomes quite angry ( but not so most of the passengers could tell -- I could, since I was watching this). He picks up the pieces and starts questioning the crew, but not the mechanic who was gone.

What is the big deal about a few pieces of small hardware from a bin door?

Jhieminga
10th Jun 2004, 18:18
The big deal is that for one thing he may not know it's from that bin door, and passengers seeing it will definitively not know this (unless you saw the incident as you did). Basically loose parts, however small, may indicate that something is not right with the aircraft, and that is always a concern for a pilot. Secondly it is a sight you don't want to leave for the passengers. Doesn't really inspire confidence in the airline now does it? :}

Eboy
11th Jun 2004, 17:20
Good points, Jhieminga. Makes sense to me.

Onan the Clumsy
11th Jun 2004, 22:50
The real reason he was worried was cos he thought they came from the bolts on the side of his neck :}