PDA

View Full Version : ICAO License???

CitationTen
9th Jun 2004, 10:40
Can anyone tell me how someone gets an ICAO license? I hear many times that someone has an ICAO license, but what exactly does it mean (more specifically, how do you get it)???

For example, if I flew in "XYZ" country (and had the license of "XYZ" country) and this "XYZ" country was a member of ICAO, would that mean that I automatically also have an ICAO license (in addition to also having the license of "XYZ" country - in other words, is "XYZ" country's license also an ICAO license?). Or would I have to write an ICAO exam (and anything else involved) in order to get an ICAO license?

Or... does having an ICAO license just mean you have the license of an ICAO country (such as the fictional "XYZ" country).

Sorry for the drawn out question, but I wanted to be sure everyone knows what I'm asking. Thanks a lot for any info!

Cheers

Check 6
9th Jun 2004, 10:44
Citation X, this just means having an airman's certificate issued from an ICAO member state, which most countries are.

;)

Mark 1
9th Jun 2004, 12:27
Be careful though.

The new British NPPL doesn't conform to ICAO standards, so is only valid on G-reg aircraft within UK airspace.

JAA licences are all ICAO compliant.

Check 6
9th Jun 2004, 13:00
Mark 1, thanks. There always seem to be exceptions. But in most cases we are talking about situations requiring a Commercial or ATP.

Cheers,

Check 6

Aesir
9th Jun 2004, 13:09
FAA license is also ICAO licence. However it cannot be used to fly a aircraft registered in a JAA country commercially or vice versa.

However some countries which are not ICAO, have companies who will accept any ICAO license.

I once applied for a job in the middle east and they said it didnt matter if I used my FAA or JAA licence, both were equally accepted there.

I didnt take the job, but thats another history.

CitationTen
10th Jun 2004, 11:42
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!

Cheers

OzExpat
11th Jun 2004, 15:08
ICAO doesn't issue licences, but they DO specify standards for the type of information contained in the licence and the way it should be presented. Many countries have adopted those standards, some are currently in the process of doing so, but there may be other countries that are yet to start down the same path.