PDA

View Full Version : CX v Military Exemptions ATPL

LordyLordy
8th Jun 2004, 20:13
I noticed that a recent Cathay Pacific ad stated that ATPLs obtained with exemptions for military experience are not acceptable. Does this represent a change in policy within the company?

I applied prior to leaving the mob, and was subsequently invited to interview although I declined the offer having already signed up with another company. If guys like me reapplied, would I have to sit all the ATPL subjects I was exempt from?

Much as I love Perf A :eek: - seems a bit harsh!

Dan Winterland
8th Jun 2004, 21:33
Tricky one this, I can't speak from the CX's viewpoint, but I do know the CAD's. The CAD did require to see documentary evidence of passes in all subjects - documentation you do not have if having aquired an ATPL through military exemptions. Last year, such a pilot joined another HK operator. The lack of exam passes did at first seem to be a problem, but after investigation by the CAD they accepted the ATPL.

So there is a precedent and they are aware of the exemption system.

FlexibleResponse
9th Jun 2004, 04:28
Agree with the responses.

The HKCAD Policy over many years seems to boil down to:

1 They will normally issue a HK Licence based on another country's equivalent Licence (but this will be subject to a review of the holder's experience and may involve some filler exams).

2 But they will not issue a HK Licence based on a Licence that was based on any exemptions to any subjects (not withstanding Dan Winterland's exception to the rule!).

Schrodingers Cat
9th Jun 2004, 09:04
Much as I hate to back up the CAD, isn't this the same for the JAA licence now? Certainly the CX ex military F/E's who only possessed HKG licences based on their previous experience have to take the full course to obtain a CAA/JAA licence.............

LordyLordy
10th Jun 2004, 11:29
Not totally I believe, since my own JAA ATPL was issued through the CAA under various exemptions. The CAA had a sliding scale of exemptions based on the type and role of aircraft flown as well as command time and total hours. This followed a very thorough study of the training undertaken by UK military pilots.

I guess the Hong Kong authorities are making a blanket rule to cover ex-military guys from anywhere. Seems a shame when CX have always seemed happy with ex-service pilots.

dogstar2
15th Jun 2004, 17:40
If the UK ATPL exemptions are of questionable use, would I be better off going to either Oz or NZ where the price of ATPLs is much more reasonable and doing a crash course there before applying to Cathay? Would I then have problems converting the license to a Hong Kong one?

Schrodingers Cat
16th Jun 2004, 06:19
erm, have you thought of e mailing the CAD direct and getting the answer straight from the horses *ss? :rolleyes:

MrBernoulli
18th Jun 2004, 19:42
Thank goodness that I did my ATPL the old-fashioned CAA way - no exemptions for exams! But it was a pain in the a**e all the same!

stillalbatross
18th Jun 2004, 23:39
If the UK ATPL exemptions are of questionable use, would I be better off going to either Oz or NZ where the price of ATPLs is much more reasonable and doing a crash course there before applying to Cathay? Would I then have problems converting the license to a Hong Kong one?

Don't do NZ it is four times the price and hassle of Oz and the NZ CAA is anal in the extreme.

rudolf
9th Mar 2005, 17:58
Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone had an update on this, I have a JAA licence obtained with mil exemptions. Only had to take air law, lucky me! Would be grateful of up to date info or personal experiences.

Ta

Rudolf

backspace
15th Mar 2005, 22:34
I can tell you all that HKCAD will issue a licence on the basis of one with excemtions based on the individual circumstances.

My Aus ATPL was issued with a couple of excemptions and while I had plenty of airline command time when I went to HK the transfer of licence went through and a HK ATPL was issued.

Though I guess the experience faqctor may have had a bit to do with it.