PDA

View Full Version : The decision....

TicTac1982
8th Jun 2004, 19:05
So, im 21, just graduated from university, and as you may have read from my other recent posts am planning on embarking on a frozen atpl. Tommorow i have an appointment with the nice people at HSBC to discuss my plans, and most importantly how much £$ i would like to borrow! So heres my question (kind of)...

This is something i have wanted to do since i can remember, and i cannot imagine spending the next 40 years of my life in some dull office doing a job i dislike. However from what i have been reading the current pilot job market is not particularly good. If i borrow some £35,000 to embark on the course, what are my chances of getting a job with some max 300 flying hours ?
I realise this question may be somewhat depending on the situation 12-14 months down the line, but this amount of money is alot to borrow, the question is do i have the guts to do it!
I realise no one can answer that for me, ive spoken to my parents, friends, lecturers, u name it, but no one seems to know a thing!

I realise this post has absolutely no answerable aspects to it, but just wanted to air my views at the moment!

ill keep you all updated!

cheers

Charlie Zulu
8th Jun 2004, 19:24
I'm afraid to say that your chances of obtaining a job with as few as 300 hours total time will be very slim.

I know of at least three people out there with thousands of hours instructing time, all of them with type ratings of various descriptions (Turboprops, Jets) and still haven't obtained a job with an airline.

However you do have your age on your side.

At the end of the day it helps to know people within airlines who can put good words in for you etc...

You won't even be able to apply to air taxi firms as you won't have the minimum 700 hours required for single pilot IFR work. Instructing is probably your best bet, but add another 5-6 thousand pounds for the FI course.

Sorry to be negative... on the other hand you may be lucky and walk straight into a job... but the chances are very slim.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

EGAC_Ramper
8th Jun 2004, 19:56
Yep this is the same boat I'm in at the moment,had my HSBC interview(preliminary) which went well I thought along with my parents.I myself am 22 and looking at borrowing to follow the dream.Like said though big gamble n job prospects at the end.Though I'd rather give it a damn good try than be around 10-15 years later and regret not trying.
I currently work at Belfast City Airport and now have a number of friendly contacts with persons amongst FlyBe and BMI.Ideally I'd love to be based out of EGAC!!:ok:

Regards

Straightandlevel80kt
9th Jun 2004, 18:19
Hi guys

I wish you well whatever you decide, and the best of luck.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you should hold back for a year or four, given that you are still well under the age limit of 26 for most sponsorships and schemes like CTC-McAlpine. (Remember that the darkest days are over and things are picking up). To be honest, in your shoes I would exhaust those options before borrowing loads of money, for the simple reason that you would stand a much much better chance of getting a job and you'd also have 3-4 years to work and save up some money which would be useful given that you'll have to pay back your loan whether you take it now or take it later on.

Just the words of a fool, to take or not as you wish.

All the best

FlyingDan
11th Jun 2004, 11:51
Hi TicTac1982

My advice would be along the lines of Straightandlevel80kt. Exhaust any opportunity up to the age of 26 to gain sponsorship. Why borrow £35K now when there is a chance (albeit slim) that you can follow a preferential route? Just a thought, but at 21 and with (I assume!) no ties, why not look at the forces if it is flying that is your dream?

From my own background, I too have always wanted to be a pilot but had to put it to the back of my mind during my twenties (just no way I could have afforded it). It is only now (32) that I am about to embark on a fATPL, but with one difference, I am a fully qualified accountant. The thought that you have something to fall back on is massively comforting, and conversely, something that a potential employer may see as separating you from the others in a positive way. You have to be able to offer something that the hundreds of others don't.

As you are young (and believe me, you are!), this may seem like a total waste of time, but look at gaining another profession (and I'm not just pushing accountancy here, but the world will ALWAYS need accountants) in the meantime, while pursing those elusive sponsorships and gaining a PPL. Do anything, but give yourself something to fall back on. You have time, use it wisely.

Crikey I sound sensible for someone who is soon to borrow/spend an awful lot of money!

Seriously, best of luck to you.

Squak2002
11th Jun 2004, 13:04
Hello,

Up until about 2 months ago, I was exactly in the same position. I was absolutely dying to start flying but slightly concerned about borrowing such a large amount of money with very little chance of a job.

After talking to friends, pilots, parents, teachers you name them, I’ve probable asked for their advice at some point, finally decided to **** the begrudges and go ahead with my training. Its been my dream since the age of 6, so I couldn’t live with myself if I put if off any longer.

Getting back to the point, from every student pilot and aspiring pilot I’ve spoken to, each situation was different. Every person will have different circumstances and variables that they have to work with. Age, family ties, money to spend/borrow, the person’s aptitude and ability to do the course full time, you’ll rarely find two exact cases.

I would really dig deep and be very honest with yourself, if you feel that you really want to start training now and have the ability to borrow the money, go for it!!!!

Best of luck and this is just my humble opinion.