PDA

View Full Version : IR test

ffynonhoudini
8th Jun 2004, 17:33
Anyone offer any help? i have IR test for end of the month with kerry booth - any one had a test with him? any points worth knowing or things that get you brownie points?

just wonderin as know all examiners have there own little things they like or hate ! also anyone know routes?or airports likely for the test? is it usually a single NDB or single ILS ?

many thanks - PM will be fine if rather not post on here !

thanks dj tha tcould of been bad !

fly-dj
8th Jun 2004, 17:44
If you mean the Kerry Booth at cranfield. A good point worth knowing is that SHE is a HE.

Not sure this info will get you any extra points but calling him a her would not be a great way start to your test.

DJ.

GARDENER
8th Jun 2004, 19:21
fly-dj
No-one mentioned he was a she or she was infact a he;)
Might be worth asking at Multiflight or LFS Leeds as he spent some time there a while back covering for Bill. Saying that do not worry about what is coming and fly the plane on the day. The thing that will screw you up most is expecting one thing and getting the other. You have done the training now show them you can do it no matter where no matter what!!

ESSEX BOY
8th Jun 2004, 19:34
Kerry is a nice enough guy ... does the tests at Cranfield with John. Standard format, he'll give you a full brief and let you know whats expected, and the rest is down to you !

Ps. he does like to throw it around a little on the Gen Handling (unusual attittudes) so make sure you check the HSI/DI is slaving or set when tracking to/from a beacon after, and the A/H hasn't toppled !

Used to fly A Slingsby Firefly .... that explains it !

Best of luck EB :ok:

boeingbus2002
8th Jun 2004, 21:45
Like other CAAFU examiners, he understands nerves will affect performance. You will make mistakes and have minor deviations from limits. As long as you
1) recognise these early and do not allow them to develop too much
2) do not bust safety related things like DA on the go around, level busts,

you should be ok.
Best of luck
:ok:

Artificial Horizon
9th Jun 2004, 07:44
Exellent guy, I had my IR test with him last year and he was more than fair and reasonable. No real quirks, he just sits back and lets you get on with it, no nasty suprises.

As for the airports you go to, it all depends, I did my through CCAT and the school booked the slots for you test, so with some gentle encouragement ops would book the airfield of your choice for the exam.

If you are coming from elsewhere to do the test then I don't know who would book the slots for you.

Cheers, and good luck.

A.H.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
9th Jun 2004, 16:00
many thanks guys = fingers crossed for the 2something - i not saying exact for obvious reasons ! lol

VFE
9th Jun 2004, 23:41
Make sure you thoroughly understand and complete the flight plan form along with the performance data including the required factors. Any errors could at best create a bad impression before you get airbourne and at worse, result in a failure of the departure phase. This could mean you're sitting on a partial before you even start the engines!

Flight plans are something that should be tested more during the ATPL's. Incorrect filing of a flight plan will result in rejection at Brussels which subsequently means hassle for NATS and yourself. Examiners know this and will expect to see the correct format and correct code letters. Know your ZPZX's from your ZTZX's and so on.

Also, make sure the aircraft is up to scratch. This may sound pretty incredible but the aircraft I took my test in had quite a few instrumentation faults. Being the FTO's only test aircraft I was placed in a tight corner. The fact I knew about them was not really the point because knowing about them meant they should've been seen to before the test day. This got my examiners back up - not neccesarily at me personally but towards my FTO - whichever way you look at it, not a good start! Although not strictly no-go faults (and I was happy to fly with them although the RPM reading error during power check did force me to explain to my examiner that if it was a commercial flight with me as PIC I'd pull the plug) they did however make certain aspects of the flight more difficult.

It is your ship, your flight and your money. Do not accept ****e aeroplanes and if you're at all unhappy then postpone until another day. Leave yourself plenty of time on test day to obtain weather, NOTAMS, and make sure you thoroughly check your aircraft and equipment, if possible, the day before as well as on the actual test day. Do not accept anyones word that something is golden and satisfy yourself completely that things are okay.

Some students tend to shy away from adverse weather conditions on test day which can annoy examiners who're ready and willing to fly. You will probably hear conflicting opinions on this one but my view is that unless there's embedded CB's enroute or x-winds on limits then go for it. If you start to get thrown around like a rag doll you're examiner will make allowances on the test parameters and will also respect you for having the nerve to attempt the test.

Lastly, should there simply be CB's forecast, make sure you confirm with your examiner that you're happy to fly as long as he's happy to give you avoidance headings for any build ups.

Good luck for a completely horrid test! :}

VFE.

Jinkster
9th Dec 2004, 20:34
Got my test with him on wed.

did he ask any particular questions?

jinkster

RVR800
10th Dec 2004, 12:59
He fails people in nice way

VFE
10th Dec 2004, 13:24
Haha! Behave RVR800! :}

Good luck for your test Jinky! I shall be toasting you when you pass mate because it means another good guy has navigated through the hoops. :ok:

VFE.

PPRuNe Towers
10th Dec 2004, 14:29
Any other generic tips folks would like to add to the main post by VFE - it would make a really useful 'keeper' for everyone on the forum.

Regards
Rob Lloyd

EGBKFLYER
10th Dec 2004, 15:50
Totally echo VFE - still cringe when I remember doing the plog using Imperial Gallons with the aircraft gauges in US and the weight and balance the same... Having that pointed out to me by the examiner was not a good start, though I got away with it...

PS No I have nothing to do with doomed Mars missions!

VFE
11th Dec 2004, 14:27
Still having therapy for the moment when the examiner looked at my paperwork and said:

"Tell me about take off and landing factors in detail."

Answer 'C' was not an option.

I wanted my Mum at that point. :sad:

VFE.