PDA

View Full Version : Down, Not Out, But Need Advice

SmilingKnifed
7th Jun 2004, 20:36
I'd like to get any advice going from members about my particular problem...

I was chopped from the RAF Jetstream multi engine course last year with around 15hrs left to do (end of low-level phase). It's fair to say that I'm pretty cut up about the whole thing, but I'm fully aware that that's not going to get me anywhere.

Having re-branched to a ground job and accepted that my heart just isn't in it, I've decided to leave the mob and pursue a career in civil aviation. I'm looking towards the states, intitially to study for a CPL (can't afford owt else!).

I've got (approx) 175hrs total military, 75 on Jetstreams, having got an Amber rating and night 1st pilot qualification.

I've no idea what (if anything) this will get me and could use some guidance (or a job offer if anyone wants a slightly gawky looking hangar sweeper/student!).

Ta

P.S Ndekepilot, thanks a lot for the great advice I've had so far. What are big brothers for?!

mad_jock
7th Jun 2004, 20:51
You meen Jetstreams get highlevel :D

BEagle is the best one to ask about this. PM or Mil forum

From what I understand you will get credit for the PPL.

You will have to do all the ATPL ground school.

You will be able to use the hours towards license issue P1 etc and P2.

No credit for CPL or instrument.

Unfortunatly I don't think you have high enough hours to jump up straight to ATPL level but the Jetstream hours will look good on your CV later. You will still have to do a Jetstream 3100 series rating civi. We have different engines etc. But they are still a bastard to land.

Best place to read is Lasors on the CAA website.

Good luck

MJ

Long Beach CFII
12th Jun 2004, 07:47
The FAA cannot issue you a Private Pilot Certificate based on your military experience with the RAF, however, if you can get the CAA to do it, then you can begin to take steps to come over to the US to complete training over here. Try to apply for every rating possible, especially the Night Rating, Instrument Rating (if you qualify will make FAA life much easier).

The first step to take once you have your UK Private Pilot License, is to apply for a letter of verification from the FAA in Oklahoma City, who will send it to the CAA to verify that you are who you say you are.

In the meantime, select a flight school that can understand where you are coming from...to me you practically had a military equivalent of a civilian Commercial Pilot Multi Engine, the FAA calls this Military Competency.

You should be looking for somewhere that can issue an M-1 Visa, or if you don't want to go through that you could try to get everything done in 90 days - very possible if you go to Southern California due to good weather.

If you go ahead with it, then you need to send that letter of verification to the Flight School's FAA Flight Standards District Office, so that upon arrival, you can pick up your FAA Private based on your UK license.

From a Flight Instructors point of view, I think you could easily complete the FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate within the minimum timeframe of 250hrs total time. You need a focused instructor that can lay a plan out for you. You have a good 75 hours to obtain the relevent Instrument, and Commercial and Multi experience in the US - I could probably teach the FAA Instrument Rating in 20 hours or so - given previous experience - within the 90 days would also be quite possible provided you do a little bit of prep work in the UK on FAA stuff. You should correspond with a Flight Instructor experienced with foreign pilot licensing issues, and go through your logbook to see how much of your experience can count towards the FAA Instrument and Commerical requirements - FAR 61.65, and FAR 61.129.

I tell all my foreign students to do the following (not one has done so so far!!) - Search for Federal Aviation Regulations on theFAA Website (http://www.faa.gov) Part 61, and Part 91
You can also download relevent books and material, do a search on the FAA website for the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Instrument Flying Handbook (1999), Instrument Procedures Handbook(2004), and the Airman's Information Manual - this is all free (would cost about $100 or more to buy the books)

Good luck with your new career, and keep us posted

Peter

Training Risky
4th Sep 2004, 22:47
Smilingknifed,

Check your PMs

Student 13 to Student 7