PDA

View Full Version : 737 double airbridge front and aft

qblue
7th Jun 2004, 03:50
At YVR they are almost finished renovating A pier and have 2 or 3 new gates with double airbridge front and aft for Westjet's 737. they also have them in YYC. This is so they can have a 20minute turn around time. I was wondering if there are any European airport with double airbridge for 737s?

Avman
7th Jun 2004, 21:25
I think that Amsterdam had/have them. But I believe they were/are only used on widebodies. No doubt a Schiphol person who may read this can provide more info.

witchdoctor
8th Jun 2004, 08:44
I have to admit I can't see why an airbridge makes the process any quicker than mobile steps, let alone two airbridges. It can be quite time consuming to get the airbridge aligned correctly, and the slope from terminal to the end of the airbridge can be quite alarming when used on a 737.

SNNEI
8th Jun 2004, 13:41
Schiphol does have them installed on the E, F and G piers, and I think maybe one on C pier. I only ever see them used on 747, 777, MD-11 though.

Intruder
8th Jun 2004, 15:47
I only ever see them used on 747, 777, MD-11 though.
Probably because those airplanes have 2 doors forward of the wing on the left side. The 737 will be much more difficult because the wing is in the way.

qblue
9th Jun 2004, 02:46
Due to the winter rain at YVR airbridge is a must. The new airbridge front jetway is positioned manually. When the front operation is completed, the operator press a button and the aft jetway to position it self over the wing and on to aft door by automation. The operator being very careful to select the right type of aircraft or the rear jetway may hit the 737-700 winglets. Westjet opetate 732 and 73G. These jetway are designed just for narrow body aircraft. Passengers deplane from the front jetway and new pax board from the rear. Westjet 20 minute turn around is for better aircraft utilisation.

SNNEI
9th Jun 2004, 10:55
Intruder,

No, they use one of the rear doors. They are designed to go over the wing for these aircraft.

WHBM
11th Jun 2004, 22:33
Due to the winter rain at YVR airbridge is a must.Plenty of rain in Ireland of course. No airbridges for Ryanair at Dublin, front door or back !

Kestrel_909
12th Jun 2004, 20:42
Airbridges for Ryanair ha :) They'll be doing away with stairs altogether shortly to save on costs and just having some extension ladders to use instead to board and deboard:E
Airbridges are becoming a thing of the past a BFS, had four now we have two!

I've seen some pictures at FRA as far as I remember with double airbridge, used on a LH 747.

Out of interest, why do we board on the left and not the right? I think I'm right in saying that the whole world tends to board through the left or port side, why did it come to this? :)

pcgavaghan
12th Jun 2004, 22:31
There are new double air bridges at Faro airport in Portugal. In response to the above, how will the removal of the ex-bmi airbridge affect the possible return of bmi to EGAA?

Kestrel_909
12th Jun 2004, 22:42
I don't know from an airlines point of view, but as a quick summary BFS didn't drive into one of the A321s elevators, nor did the a/c get damaged by de-icing or did they ever have to change an engine due to the harsh braking, to my knowledge :)

To be honest I can't see them coming back to BFS atm, but would like to see them back.

ArcticTurn
13th Jun 2004, 01:37
In the US, Southwest uses the double airbridge at both gates in Albany, NY and one gate each at Austin and Dallas in the land known as Texa$$. When they work they are great, but the reliability of the rear bridge is somewhat suspect.

AT

silly walks
13th Jun 2004, 08:21
Kestrel_909

One of the reason why pax are boarded on the left hand side is that all the hold doors (with exception of B767 Bulk hold) are located on the right hand side. So to avoid congestion pax are boarded on the left hand side.

SW

Hobo
13th Jun 2004, 08:32
In Puerto Rico arriving on a Pan Am 747 a few years ago (about 1973?) we got four airbridges out to the aircraft. One to the front 2 doors on each side. We got up and kept walking from near the back. No stopping/queing to get off etc. We were all off in about 4 mins from memory. Once the pax were off the two on the right were taken away for the catering to be done then put back for boarding. All very quick & efficient.

Kestrel_909
13th Jun 2004, 08:37
Thanks silly walks, I knew it would have a simple and logical explanation :ok:

qblue
19th Jun 2004, 14:01
YVR renovated A pier for Westjet and have installed 3 double and 2 single jetways. It was late in the afternoon and did not see the techs testing the new jetway. The operator is the front who sets his jetway to the front door pushes a button and the rear by computer control set itself to the real.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures

jettesen
19th Jun 2004, 16:29
Also for boarding on the left is that not all aircraft have doors the same size on either side. For example the 737. Large main doors on left , slightly smaller on the right! All the baggage loading, fuel and catering is done on the right too

WHBM
20th Jun 2004, 09:20
Out of interest, why do we board on the left and not the right? I think I'm right in saying that the whole world tends to board through the left or port side, why did it come to this?This all goes back long before airbridges and pushbacks, to the days when aircraft approached the terminal, made a U-turn in front of it, stopped for the steps to be pushed up, and then when ready to depart just carried on round. Yes I know some airports are still like this (London City for one)

And as the captain sits on the left, the aircraft would be swung round "clockwise" rather than the other way round so the captain can judge clearance from things, particularly wingtip clearance that you couldn't see from the opposite seat.

Why does the captain sit on the left ? Well the main controls like throttles etc are in the centre of the aircraft, and as most people are right handed they will sit on the left of them, to use their right hands.

And if the pax are boarding on the left you put the baggage doors on the opposite side, so the trucks do not interfere with the steps or the jetway.

jonathang
23rd Jun 2004, 19:58
I have to admit I can't see why an airbridge makes the process any quicker than mobile steps, let alone two airbridges. It can be quite time consuming to get the airbridge aligned correctly, and the slope from terminal to the end of the airbridge can be quite alarming when used on a 737.

You’re right it doesn't make it quicker.

You can turn an aircraft faster with 2 sets of steps.

However for weather reasons stated already (Passenger Comfort) and also Staffing reasons Air Bridges are far better.

To supervise a disembarking A330 without a bridge usually requires 4 staff. Dispatcher, staff under the wing to prevent passengers walking under it. Staff member on the service road to prevent the passengers getting run over by service vehicles.

The Air Bridge also acts to prevent passengers from leaving FOD (Foreign Object Debris) on the ramp, Turning their mobiles on and lighting up cigarettes when they walk off into the fresh air.

Some passengers are completely thick. Bowser metres from them and they are smoking.

Passengers also have this amazing ability to slip, fall and walk as close to any object usually dangerous on a ramp.

Air Bridge allows Dispatcher to know the passengers are safe.

Bottom line Air Bridge saves on staffing costs.

Airbridges for Ryanair ha They'll be doing away with stairs altogether shortly to save on costs and just having some extension ladders to use instead to board and deboard

Ryanair, even when air bridges are an option on stand will not use them for the reason it slows down the boarding process. It would be very difficult to board and disembark a 737-800, which carries 189 passengers within 25 minutes block to block.

Hard enough with the stairs.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan