PDA

View Full Version : eJ 737 blocks runway at STN Sat night

lost soul
6th Jun 2004, 13:35
What happened?? I was a passenger into STN last night and we had to divert to LTN as apparently a 737 had some sort of nosewheel problem and was stuck on the STN runway-- aircraft diverting in all directions. About an hour later things normalised and we returned to STN -- no sign of the problem aircraft by then. Any details??

markandrewha
6th Jun 2004, 17:04
I was on EJ from Venice into STN and were diverted to LGW and then into STN. Finally touched down at midnight (15 mins early became 70 mins late). We were told by the captain that a plane's undercarriage had collapsed on STN's runway but no news anywhere.

Total chaos at pp control and at the long stay car park.

Skytrucker87
6th Jun 2004, 18:13
It appears that the cause of the problem was a landing which was later described as 'unorthodox'. A/c in question G-IGOZ and the wreckage is currently residing in FLS hangar deciding whether it wants to be made better or have a nose gear change. It apparently left the runway pushing a tug.

:D

flapless
6th Jun 2004, 23:50
Problem with nose wheel steering so 'wreckage' not quick correct.

Skytrucker87
7th Jun 2004, 00:22
Flapless, you are correct but the problem with n/w steering was the result of the torque link breaking. It smashed into the TeeCas antenna too. I just wonder why the torque link broke.

I used the word wreckage with tongue in cheek, by the way.:}

avoman
7th Jun 2004, 06:50
Incident was a failure of the upper torsion link attachment. This is a high stress item regularly inspected and there have been modifications over the years.
A special fleet wide check has already been accomplished overnight.

Bobby Guzzler
7th Jun 2004, 09:32
Avomans's diagnosis sounds about right.

My woman's housemate was on the flight doing her hostie bit and said no-one had a clue what went on. Apparently the nose wheel wasn't fully extended, so to the pax looked like it was scraping the floor. Must have been lots of shimmy too causing torsion on the hull, resulting in most of the overhead panels falling down onto the pax - nice friday night out think you'll agree.

On a lighter note, atleast it was OZ - maybe they'll have to get rid of it, shame (not). Every time I've flown it something has gone wrong with it, sounds like a friday afternoon built a/c. :yuk:

AJ
7th Jun 2004, 12:43
Most of the ex-Go fleet is universally despised - stinky toilets, filthy upholstery, safety equipment all over the place, air conditioning which creates freezing temps at the overwing (why?) and tech problems every other day.

Mind you, our newest jet (-KG) has gone tech about 4 times in the space of 2 weeks... :rolleyes:

Agaricus bisporus
7th Jun 2004, 17:27
I cannot let that last corrosive piece of bigotry by AJ go unchallenged. It is the attitudes of people like him (her?) that are to be despised.

"most" of the "ex Go" fleet is in fine form, and from my recollection carried less ADDs in it's previous ownership than now, but I digress...

Temps overwing have nothing whatever to do with Go, more like easythech if a problem even exists at all; after 2 yrs filthy upholstery is firmly in the purview of EJ and has been for 18 mths, and safety equipment "all over the place" is a puzzle to me. Does the God-like AJ suggest that the CAA revises the SE dispositions on all international fleets to comply with his idea of the only perfect (EJ) way?

I further suggest that the ex Go aircraft are no more or less stinky, filthy or unreliable than any of the old ej -300s, and if they are there is only one agency responsible for that, and it ain't Go, as that company has tragically been taken away from us these last two years.

Bobby Guzzler
7th Jun 2004, 18:04
Easy tiger - think the point is that OZ is a bit of a heap (can't detect an ex-Go employee here can we???). Admittedly some of ezy's a/c aren't in the best of nick, YC for one looks like a patchwork quilt with all the rivetting and the lack of livery - flies nice though.

Oh well, life will be ok in Essex when the 700 arrives (and we swap them for some of your aged beauties!) :{

outofsynch
7th Jun 2004, 18:22
yes, most of the above is true...

Violent nosewheeel shimmy as soon as touched town. No prior warning. Not even any shimmy before takeoff CIA.

Runway blocked for less than 30 mins whilst pax bussed away, but right at rush hour didnt help.

AJ.. your comments about the Go fleet are a little harsh... the newest of the Go fleet are newer than any Ezy 300. In fact the Go fleet rarely had nosewheel shimmy, as opposed to most of the Ezy fleet now.

jettesen
7th Jun 2004, 18:52
For F**K sake, why is there still so much bitchyness about ej v GO. Never known anyone like it. Supposedly Go were thi s and that, but if that was the case, why did cassini get out when she did????? Get a life guys. Just a bit of info, All ej 300 from YG are less than 6 years old. Brand new from the factory. GO much older

AJ
7th Jun 2004, 19:19
Let me make it VERY CLEAR that my comments have absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about Go - I don't have any, as I never worked for them. I joined ezy after the merger. I did fly with them as a passenger, and thought they were a pretty decent airline.

Perhaps I should have made this clearer - my point was that most of the ex-Go and older ezy -300s we work on (as cabin crew) are in pretty dire condition - they are filthy, the stench from some of their toilets is unbelievable and the location of some SEP eqpmt defies logic (some oxygen bottles are impossible to inspect or use).

Whether this has anything to do with Go - the airline, I don't know. My point was that it was no personal surprise that -OZ had had tech problems the other day. Some of our older a/c seem to be going tech every other day these days. Guess that has something to do with how hard we work these a/c.

Apologies to those I unintentionally offended. As I have already said, I have absolutely nothing against Go, or anyone who worked for them. Neither do I know of any flight or cabin crew who harbour such feelings.

outofsynch
8th Jun 2004, 09:35
I believe you are wrong.... the newst of the Go fleet were built after the 33V and have less hours/cycles still. If youre an eJ employee, check your vol2 fleet list!

And 'ST87' the landing was entirely orthodox... quite smooth I believe.. until the nosegear touched down. Crew absolved of any involvement in failure of torque link.

easyprison
8th Jun 2004, 10:40
Stop acting like children! EZYC/YF are no worse than IGOG or IGOZ/X both airlines had dogs of aeroplanes. I believe Go did have a batch of newer -300s than EZY.

Any how- who cares? Lets talk about rostering.

maxwell4065
8th Jun 2004, 11:24
While we are talking about heaps of aircraft may I suggest the 6 Ryanair ex Buzz 300s. Hardly a day goes past without one of these planes going tech and why can't the APUs be maintained so we don't have to keep air starting them.

toon
8th Jun 2004, 13:21
AJ, is KG one of the new airbus's ?

The Greaser
8th Jun 2004, 13:52
G-EZKG is the newest (and i believe last) 737-700 to be delivered.

goeasy
10th Jun 2004, 18:38
Anyone see the newspaper coverage of the event? Heard the Mirror, or like, had article Sunday.

Anyone know how to find articles online or otherwise?

kick the tires
10th Jun 2004, 18:51
AJ - your generalisations do nothing to enhance your credibility!

What a load of toss, go back and read your postings and see whether they are subjective and rational. I think not!

some oxygen bottles are impossible to inspect or use

Do you then tell the Captain and ask him to check the DDG to see if you can operate with a reduced number of O2 bottles - NO YOU DONT!!

Shaka Zulu
10th Jun 2004, 21:36
KG is indeed the last one....

And yes YC and YF are far older then most of the ex-Go -300's.
We are one airline now, if you can't get over it, then leave
Most guys that did have problems with it have left anyway....

Hopefully they'll find a trial rostering period solution pretty soon.
(they say it is anyway)

Matty J
11th Jun 2004, 15:29
Well,

Suspecting that i work with Maxwell4065, i agree with his comments about the Ex Buzz aircraft!

Atleast 1 a day has some sort of problem and most of the time its the APU, although recently the engines have decided to start leaking oil everywhere aswell!

One of our aircraft actually had an EASYJET cowling on the number 2 engine for a day as the original was damaged by baggage equipment!

That was a sight i can tell you, A Continental Airlines aircraft with a Ryanair sticker and a Easyjet cowling!! Quality!

Matt.

Departures Beckham
16th Jun 2004, 13:12
That was a sight i can tell you, A Continental Airlines aircraft with a Ryanair sticker and a Easyjet cowling!! Quality!
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/RunwayWetWetWet/ezyFRcodeshare.JPG