PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS Cadetship

Jimmy89
6th Jun 2004, 08:33
Hey everyone,

Can someone please tell me how competitive the QF Cadetship is and any disadvantages or advantages? I cannot start training until I finish HSC so I don't think I'd be able to apply for the QF Cadetship with any experience at all except a TIF. I have noticed a lot of young people like me are starting lessons already, will this give them an advantage over me? Thank you

Jimmy

redsnail
6th Jun 2004, 12:20
The cadetship is very very competitive.
Lessons will show that the person is genuine. You could try gliding. The experience won't hurt and you'll be showing some enthusiasm.
Your Australia specific questions are best answered in the Dunnunda and Godzone forums.

redsnail
6th Jun 2004, 16:18
In case you haven't read it, here's all the info for the cadet scheme at Qantas (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots).

Jimmy89
13th Jun 2004, 02:58
I've found a very cheap Flying School but it isn't exactly a flying school. It's an "Ultralight" flying school. It doesn't give me a GFPT but a Pilot Certificate on an ultralight plane. Does anyone think this will show QANTAS I have some enthusiasm for flying even though it's different to the GFPT License? Any advice welcome. Thanks

Jimmy

mole1010
15th Jun 2004, 10:01
g'day jimmy!

i know and fly with a number of qantas cadets, most of them had a little bit of experience, but not much, most of them did a few hours to see if they really did like flying, about 50% of the 2003 cadets had their GFPT's, 2 had their PPL's, one guy had never flown a powered aircraft but had 100hrs in gliders, and one person had 4 hrs experience. so it doesn't really matter what experience you have, you are going to have to do it again anyway, so fly ultralights or gliders, and get a feel for flying, but don't throw your money into powered flying yet! just be keen, wright to qantas, ask for advice, do well in school, and apply. make sure you apply well before the closing date, because i know a few people in pilot recruitment, and they tell me the first applications get the best look in. If you want to have a chat with me about it, or my experiences, PM me, or send me an e-mail at [email protected]