PDA

View Full Version : CPL Checkride soon, help

spudskier
5th Jun 2004, 20:38
Any tips or information to make the checkride for my commercial certificate go that much more smoothly would be much appreciated!!!

VFE
5th Jun 2004, 21:14
Retrieve from your side pocket a clean hanky. Whilst extracting that hanky let your extensive wad of notes fall onto the floor and then innocently ask your examiner (as ya do!) who he or she, in their infinate wisdom, thinks should pick them there swanky notes up.

Job's a good'un. :ok:

G'luck! :)

VFE.

redsnail
5th Jun 2004, 22:43
spuds,
I gather you're doing this flight in the US?
Now you got to think like a professional pilot.
Make sure you know all your regs. Privileges and Limitations. etc
If you can, get a copy of the form that s/he'll use and use that to revise your knowledge.
Treat the examiner like a pax. SHow them how to use the exits, seatbelts, give them a brief etc. During the flight, ask him/her if they're comfortable. Too hot? Too cold? Think about turbulence.
Revise your speeds and stuff you need to know for the operation of the airplane.
Revise the area you'll probably be flying in and around. Make sure you're happy doing diversions and the like. Be comfortable with the radio and have your tasks prioritorised.

Pack your nav bag the night before. Double check you have all your maps, rulers, whizz wheels, headset, pens etc ready to go. Oh, take water too. You'll get thirsty.

The most important thing? It's ok to make a mistake or two, BUT, don't dwell on it. Fix it and get on with the next task.

Nerves are expected but with good preparation, they'll be minimised.

Good luck.

Pilot16
6th Jun 2004, 13:12
Treat the examiner like a pax. SHow them how to use the exits, seatbelts, give them a brief etc. During the flight, ask him/her if they're comfortable. Too hot? Too cold? Think about turbulence.

yes, and i have read similiar advise when i was doing my PPL test. The examiner seemed damn miserable through out >> more of a lets get it over and done with attitude.

He would have jumped out the airplane if I went on about how to fasten the seatbelt!

redsnail
6th Jun 2004, 13:28
There's the difference between a PPL test and a CPL test.
I realise that in the UK that most CPL pilots go onto bigger stuff comparatively quickly compared to Australia (and the US) but now you're supposed to be a professional and you cannot assume that the passenger (aka Examiner) knows how they work.
You are legally obliged to demonstate these things on a CPL flight. If you don't, you can find yourself in court very quickly.
So, if you want to play safe, ask if the examiner needs to have the seat belts explained etc. You can start the brief etc and if the examiner is happy, s/he'll will say that's ok and for you to continue.