PDA

View Full Version : Flight Crew Visa

Need4Speed23
5th Jun 2004, 20:11
Hopefuly someone in a similar situation can give me some insight.

I have just completed my JAR licenses (Frozen ATPL). I am NON EU passport holder (indian) with the right to live an work in the UK.

The question is -

Can I travel on work to the different EU cuntries on my Crew ID or do I get a crew Visa once I join a company?

Do pilots and crew get a waiver when they travel to countries where they would normally require a Visa?

All experiences and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Speed

PIA747
5th Jun 2004, 21:18
Once you are a crew member citizenship is normally irrelevant. You will be on the General Declaration as per the rules of the different countries, you do not require a visa.

JJflyer
6th Jun 2004, 16:22
Under new Schengen rules that UK is not part of you might need a Schengen visa to enter rest of EU, However entering on a GD as a crewmember is more often used.

As an Indian passport holder and travelling as PAX you are required to obtain a visa that allows you to travel in to "Schengen" countries but does not allow you to work.

Here is a bit of info on the subject:

Who requires a visa?

VISA

Required by all except the following for stays of up to 90 days:

(a) nationals of EU countries, Australia, Canada, USA, Japan and nationals mentioned under passport exemptions

(b) nationals of Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Hungary, Israel, Korea (Rep. of), Lithuania, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Switzerland, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela;

(c) transit passengers continuing their journey by the same or first connecting aircraft, provided holding onward or return documentation and not leaving the airport. However, nationals of certain countries always require a transit visa, even when not leaving the airport transit area.

PASSPORT
Passport valid for up to 6 months (depending on nationality) required by all except EU nationals and nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Norway and Switzerland holding valid national ID cards.

Note:

(a) Passport validity depends on nationality; for nationals of UK, the passport must be valid for the duration of the stay in Schengen area.
(b) It is advisable to have a return ticket, but not obligatory. If a visitor is not in possession of a return ticket, proof of sufficient means of support may be required.

Required documents for visa:

Tourism:
(a) Passport or official travel documents accepted by Schengen countries, valid for at least 3 months longer than the validity of the visa, with blank page for attachment of visa sticker.
(b) Application form.
(c) 1 passport-size photo.
(d) Proof of purpose of visit in the form of an official letter of invitation from host or business partner, provisional ticket booking and hotel booking where appropriate.
(e) Proof of sufficient funds and medical insurance may also be required. (f) Fee (payable in cash, by postal order or by cheque).
(g) For postal applications, a large self-addressed envelope stamped for registered or recorded delivery.

Business: (a)-(g), and
(h) Letter from employer or, if self-employed, from solicitor, accountant, bank manager or local Chamber of Commerce stating purpose and duration of the visit. References may also be required.

Time required to issue visa:

From a few days to a few weeks.

Costs of visa:

A uniform type of visa, the Schengen visa, is issued for touristic, private or business visits. There are 3 types of Schengen visa: Short-Stay, Transit and Airport Transit. Visas cost between £13.57 and £26.97.

Note: A Schengen visa will be issued free of charge to the spouse and children of an EU national, upon presentation of the original marriage certificate and a valid EU passport. For children, original full birth certificates are required. A small charge is made for the visa sticker.

Validity of visa:

Short-stay visas: 6 months from date of issue for single- or multiple entries of maximum 90 days per entry.
Transit visas: single- or multiple entries of maximum 5 days per entry, including the day of arrival.

Visas cannot be extended; a new application must be made each time.

Comment:

Travellers visiting just one Schengen country should apply to the Consulate of that country; travellers visiting more than one Schengen country should apply to the Consulate of the country chosen as the main destination or the country they will enter first (if they have no main destination).

However if you work for a UK carrier and are operating internal European flights it is your company's responsibility to obtain all required documents to make you legal, but it is still your responsibility to ensure that you are actually legal.

JJ