PDA

View Full Version : D-Day

Arkroyal
3rd Jun 2004, 16:26
This weekend we'll be remembering those who fell sixty years ago, so that Europe might be free. Every time I fly back to the UK from the south, I look down on those beaches with silent thanks.

When BARLU went some time ago, to be replaced with the anonymous AKIKI, many Ppruners complained.

How about an effort to change it again. To another five letter word which would be a memorial to the bloodiest of those strands - OMAHA

Tarek Nor
4th Jun 2004, 02:53
Sadly there is no way the PC brigade would ever allow
that. At the main ceremony there is only space for 200
veterans, but plenty of room for important VIP's such
as HERR Schroeder (!) and that well know war hero, err
sorry monger Bush Junior. :yuk:

Robert Vesco
5th Jun 2004, 10:40
Some 9,000 troops are being deployed in the northern region, and any planes violating a no-fly zone in Normandy will be shot down, the military warned.

Surface-to-air missiles have already been installed along the coastline.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3767119.stm) and

French officials say two AWAC surveillance planes will fly overhead to keep an eye on a wide area around the events. The defense minister said Mirage-2000 fighters will be on stand-by at nearby airbases, able to reach any area in Normandy "in 10 minutes."

A special squad that reacts to chemical and biological attacks recently went through a practice exercise, French media reported.
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5136529) Looks like France has managed to re-create some of that 'warzone atmosphere' from 60 years ago. :rolleyes:

Completely agree with Tarek Nor, it's sad that the very people who fought for our freedom and the ones who are supposed to be enjoying that freedom, are shielded away (as if they are potential terrorists) from the "world leaders" who desperately need some good PR for their re-election campaign. :yuk:

Optimus Prime
5th Jun 2004, 11:53
The Longest Day

We all owe a debt of gratitude to those brave men and boys who fought and died/survived for a freedom that we take for granted nowadays.

It would seem that some if not all of our leaders have forgoten what was learned 60 years ago.

I believe that it is right that a reprensentative from each country that took part in D-Day (the Germans included) be present to show our respect and unity for all involved. I think that certain countries should have chosen better and more suitable candidates for the job.

unwiseowl
6th Jun 2004, 17:18
I’m surprised that this show of gratitude to a generation of hero’s was even permitted by New Labour because waving Union Jacks, a Lancaster with it’s bomb bay doors open and talk of killing Nazi’s just isn’t PC.

LGS6753
6th Jun 2004, 18:14
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning

We will remember them.

Arkroyal
29th Jun 2004, 12:12
Understand from another source that this suggestion has been put to the relevant French authority.

And rejected.:(