PDA

View Full Version : 146 gust lock

gdnhalley
1st Jun 2004, 20:39
Could someone please tell me why 146's taxi (I presume with the gust lock in) with the elevators in the full up position. most of the other aircraft I see appear to be locked full down.(control column out of the way position).?
thanks
gdn

mjv
2nd Jun 2004, 07:16
hi gdn,

it's quite simple, the brits are using servo tabs!!
very often you can see one side up and the other down as well.

I wouldn't call it gust lock, lets say control lock

mjv

Hostie from Hell
2nd Jun 2004, 08:30
A " Gust lock " on a Bae 146 is a catch attached to the fuselage that holds the doors in place. This is so that the aircraft doors will not move in high winds.

mjv
2nd Jun 2004, 08:55
@HfH

don't be so nasty :{ I do miss the old lady already.
I was never bored and I made plenty of money:ok:

mjv

Hostie from Hell
2nd Jun 2004, 18:59
mjv

Wasn't trying to be nasty, sorry:(

Bae 146 is my baby, will always be the most special aircraft in the skys. To me anyhow!

Yep, its getting to be a bit old. Still, one of the safest around.

simfly
2nd Jun 2004, 19:30
Hey, I'm sitting at my desk just now, watching a 146's elevators flapping up and down in opposite directions!!!!:yuk:

AIRWAY
2nd Jun 2004, 21:16
simfly

Fs2004 :confused:

:} :} :}

chiglet
2nd Jun 2004, 21:34
It that makes you nervous......Try watching a BR31 Brittania/Canadair CL44 on rollout. The Elevators were doing a "hula" dance. And the "gout" of flame on "start-up", that panic'd a few :ok:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

square leg
2nd Jun 2004, 21:43
The gust lock is there more to prevent the control column from banging around in the cockpit.

The elevator has gust dampers (in the elevator housing) which allow the wind to play with them when parked or taxying, which prevent damage.

HfH, the 146 is as safe as the pilots who fly them, the mechanics who maintain them and the training that all of these people receive. But yes it is a rather redundant little bugger.

Ever notice the "bird catcher" on the tail? That's to catch birds that try and overtake the 146;)

mjv
3rd Jun 2004, 02:13
@hostie from hell

working in dub, sh...jet or aer lingus??

mjv

Hostie from Hell
3rd Jun 2004, 07:56
mjv.....
neither;)

square leg...
You are absolutly correct. And yes, it is a rather slow aircraft!

Mr HfH has just enlightened me as to what a gust lock is as regards to a control column:zzz:

I am now a ever so slightly more wiser ex hostie!