PDA

View Full Version : a bit of advice

stuart citytilidie
31st May 2004, 17:17
hello all,

I am 16 and in the middle of my gcse's and i would just like some advice. I would like to be an airline pilot and i would like some tips as to how to become one. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

thanks stuart

birdlady
31st May 2004, 17:36
Hi Stuart

A really good option is to come to South Africa and do your PPL here as it is alot cheaper and the weather is better. Once you have completed this, you have to do 100 P1(in otherwords pilot in Command) which you can also do here. I would also suggest while you are doing your hourbuilding, start your ATP therory through Bristol distance learning. Once you have the hours you can return to the Uk to do your JAA CPL and Multi Ir. The bonus about doing it here in SA, besides the thousands your saving, is that the training is excellent here as long as you choose the right school. I am at Superior Pilot Services here in Grand Central (Johannesburg) and they are excellent and very reasonable. The owner used to be incharge of a JAA school so he is very familar with the JAA system and all are instructors are the best. Hope this helps and if you want any more info msg me.

Ciao Bl

stuart citytilidie
31st May 2004, 17:50
Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!

Do you think also a sponsorship is a good idea because i already have some flying hours and i am very keen to learn !!!!!!

O and how did you come to find out about SA, how long do you have to go until you can come back to the uk

EGAC_Ramper
31st May 2004, 19:10
By all means go for sponsorship but don't count on it happening.FlyBe took in 350 applications for 6 posts.Other option of training is by self finance,and when you can start building a credit rating.Aswell as that continue onto A-levels and work hard.

Regards

stuart citytilidie
31st May 2004, 19:59
Do you think self finance is a good idea and why ?

moo
31st May 2004, 20:42
its often your only option stuart. sponsorships are the golden ticket and you should go for every one you are elegible for, but don't assume that you'll get one, since the BA one stopped, the ones available are few and far between and take on small numbers of cadets. If you REALLY want to do this, you will have to make some kind of contingency plan, which, i'm afraid, will involve self funding :ugh:

Flypuppy
1st Jun 2004, 09:03
Stuart,

Check out the Reference Threads (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=131649) thread.

There is a lot of useful information and links there.

birdlady
11th Jun 2004, 21:30
Hi Stuart,

Sorry its taken so long to reply but Ive been on holidays.

To begin with how I discovered South Africa is that I have been living here for the last six years. You really cant beat the flying here. It is a little bit more expensive than the states but the training is better. I myself have a Jaa PPL and I have to say the South African is as good if not better in most areas. The states is a really good option but from what I have heard you have to be really picky with the school you choose if you want to return to the uk and fly with an english company. Radio is a lot different in the states and a lot of their procedures are different (this is really all word of mouth so dont quote me). If you come out to South Africa you would have your PPl and 100hrs P1 in a max of six months depending on what time of the year you come. Your summer is our winter and its the dry season so no nasty thunderstorms. You would be amazed how many english pilots started their training in South Africa so it is excepted but I would do some research on this.

As with sponsorship, as you are probably well aware of now, there are very few and far between. I would not rely on getting one and if I were you, I would start my ppl now during the summer holidays. An absolutely awesome experience, some fantastic weather and it will really tell you if you want to do this for the rest of your life. If you need some info on schools please dont hesitate to contact me.

Ciao bl

Send Clowns
12th Jun 2004, 20:46
Go to your local small club (at Barton, perhaps?), and ask if you can work for hours. At Solent we have two very hard-working lads of your age steadily working throught their PPLs, while picking up aviation wisdom, rude jokes and bad personal habits from the people they work around. You also meet some fascinating people, who will usually respect you for your attitude to life, working hard for your goal. This is an age-old route into aviation, but still going!

Best of luck.

birdlady
12th Jun 2004, 21:06
I couldnt agree more with clowns as this is what I am doing at the moment to earn my hours. You really do learn a lot and you can pick up some excellent contacts..... always a good thing in the aviation industry.

ciao bl