PDA

View Full Version : Help: Zurich car rental

flufdriver
31st May 2004, 17:15
Planning to rent a car in ZRH, for about two weeks starting mid-june.

Any info on who is extending airline discounts, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

hayduke
31st May 2004, 20:35
You will find Avis, Hertz and Europcar right at the terminal. They offer crew discounts. Last time i rented from Europcar and the price, incl. discount was still on the high side (eco-car) :\

May want to check an office outside airport area and see what prices they offer.

Enjoy your trip !

Notso Fantastic
31st May 2004, 23:04
Always try holidayautos.co.uk. Don't fall for the 'upgrade trick' where you are charged far more than a regular upgrade should be. Insist you stick with the original booking, then they may have to upgrade you.

mjv
1st Jun 2004, 05:00
I would reckon to cross the border and renting a car in Germany, well knowing its a hassle but less expensive.

mjv

amanoffewwords
1st Jun 2004, 08:23
I'd suggest taking public transport - it's excellent over there. You get a better view of the scenery from a train. Depends where you're going really.

Charles

EuroATC
1st Jun 2004, 13:33
not sure about ZH but i know about Geneva. I rented a car through a Canadian travel agent... it ended up being 1/2 the price that I could have got at the counter. Check the net aswell, whatever you do, just don't show up and ask for a rate cuz in my experience it's always more expensive that way.

Lu Zuckerman
1st Jun 2004, 21:04
What ever you rent and where ever you rent it make sure it has power steering.

I rented a VW Golf at Zurich Cloten and it did not have power steering and I ended up using muscles I did not know I had.

:E :E

Spuds McKenzie
2nd Jun 2004, 07:06
and it did not have power steering

Must've been about 200 years ago then, Lu.
;)

flufdriver
3rd Jun 2004, 15:37
Thank you all for the good responses, I appreciate it.

I have done a lot of checking around on the internet and on the phone.

the best i've been able to secure sofar is an "intermediate" car (Opel Vectra) for 12 days from an off-airport (AVIS) location for US$ 741.00 inclusive of taxes and insurance with drop off at airport.

I will keep looking and hope to get it below $50 a day.

i would actually prefer to use the public transport system but there is always that awkward distance from the train/bus station to my many relatives homes etc. plus you have to work with the schedule.

Thanks again!

Lu Zuckerman
3rd Jun 2004, 19:14
To: Spuds McKenzie

It was just a bit more than seven years ago and the car was a Polo.

:E :E