PDA

View Full Version : Go-arounds at Gatwick

Bob Brown
30th May 2004, 14:52
Living in Crawley we do not have many a/c overhead as we are parallel to the runway. In the last ha;f an hour there have been at least 4 a/c go-around.

Is the weather the problem or something else?

opsjockey
30th May 2004, 15:25
Look out the window dude!! Its chucking it down! V large CB activity at the end of 26L so a/c are taking avoiding action.

OJ

FlapsOne
30th May 2004, 23:23
I took off at 1430 ish.

The planned departure from 26L involved a right turn a couple of mile off the end of the runway onto reciprocal track (LAM 4M SID).

There was a v big CB sitting right on the turning point, drifting very slowly ESE.

So we, and many others, were offered alternative routing via a left turn after take off (TIGER SID).

No big deal.................just airmanship

slingsby
31st May 2004, 14:59
Discuss it, Line up, tilt wx radar up, pick your track, request it, watch and note the msa, discuss it and go. Re-evaluate in the turn, re-request new track if required, climb above msa , which in the LGW area is fairly quick, climb to level and away you go. No drama, just a few seconds of enjoyable hand flying at low level, gives you a chance to show off your airmanship, and get a mention on Pprune. Glad you enjoyed it.
Landing into a storm/heavy rain, mmmm thinking back to Dallas here, with downdrafts and windshear. If the storm is on the airfield, maybe it would be prudent to hold for a while rather than shoot a missed approach, or if it has passed the airfield and is sitting nicely on the approach path, maybe request a different approach to a clearer ILS. I would have certainly thought about coming back in on 08 if it was available.

Bob Brown
1st Jun 2004, 19:24
Thanks everyone. Just curious as it was not actually raining over my house and the cloud was fairly high, but suspected it would be weather related.

apaddyinuk
1st Jun 2004, 21:01
Think there might be something odd going on in LGW alright!!!
Was sitting in the staff canteen in Jubilee before my flight on Saturday (29th May i think) and noticed a US Air A330 do a go around at about 500 feet (not that im good at judging). Cant see the runway from thebuilding so couldnt tell what was wrong but i presumed it was just something wrong with its Left Felanjee!!! :yuk:

The African Dude
1st Jun 2004, 21:17
Thought you were meant to carry a whole load of spare Felangee's? :p :O

Andy

Tinstaafl
2nd Jun 2004, 00:23
If they had any sense they'd carry the newer Universal Felangees, that way they've a spare if the L, R, Front or Rear ones fail.

Saves a lot of bother compared to carrying one ambidextrous Fel. plus one each of Front & Rear Fels. :8

Greenfinch
2nd Jun 2004, 08:59
On the 26th May I was sitting at hold J4 for 08R and ATC sent 3 consecutive aircraft around (a 737, ATR72 and an A330) whilst there was an inspection for "possible debris on the runway". Normal operations soon resumed.

Warped Factor
2nd Jun 2004, 10:52
Greenfinch wrote:

On the 26th May I was sitting at hold J4 for 08R and ATC sent 3 consecutive aircraft around (a 737, ATR72 and an A330) whilst there was an inspection for "possible debris on the runway". Normal operations soon resumed.

And I was lucky enough to speak to them all on radar....again :p

WF.

an-124
2nd Jun 2004, 12:03
Without wanting to start a new thread on UFO's, - and whilst we are talking about LGW, I was in the LGW area (well 5 miles north) and saw a black object floating in the air (my guess at about 10,000 feet) drifting slowly westward. It happened at about 1930 approx last wednesday. Can anyone shed any light on what is was or might have been? a weather ballon perhaps? Does it happen very often?

Notso Fantastic
2nd Jun 2004, 12:07
I think it was GB pilots goodwill floating away and leaving Sussex fast!