PDA

View Full Version : Engineering..How to Start!

A320 SFO
29th May 2004, 19:56
Friends,

I have a young eager cousin who wants to study in the UK Aircraft Engineering.

It's all a little changing now with JAR's etc.

Can anyone give me some advise for him please.

What route to follow, where to study etc.

Bear in mind he is fresh out of school and no aviation background at all...

Thanks..

:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2004, 22:28
The term "Engineering" is a much abused word, and covers a lot of different jobs in this country.

If you'd be a bit more specific, I'm sure somebody will help. In the meantime, you could do worse than going to the careers pages on the website of the Royal Aeronautical Society at www.raes.org.uk

G

TURIN
30th May 2004, 21:25
Unless he has a healthy interest in aviation I suggest you talk him out of it....fast!

The pay is poor, the hours are unsociable and almost everyone treats you like a pariah.

Well in the UK at least.

Most European companies treat engineers with respect and admiration.

If your cousin is still interested then the job can be very rewarding and immensely interesting. Many of the Big UK airlines (BA & Virgin to name two) are taking on 'apprentices' this year so apply to them. A word of caution though, A levels are the min requirement these days.

Good Luck.:ok:

eng1170
31st May 2004, 12:29
Just for info Loganair at Glasgow are advertising for apprentices at the moment and I think BA at Glasgow are also about to put out an advert. Will try annd get contact details for you.

FunctionedSatis
1st Jun 2004, 16:28
Hi,

Im a recently qualified young licenced engineer myself, there are more and more ways into the industry appearing, i was lucky enough to get on BA's programme, theres also a programme run by KLM and Kingston university and this includes a foundation degree and final option to complete a Hons degree, i belive that BA will go down this route soon too.

I think its a not badly paid job, but is not great when you compare it to the 4+ years training that u must complete, remebering thought that aviation has suffered in the last few years too.

There are 2 licence cat's B1 Mechanical and B2 Avionic, im B2, but id recomend anyone starting out to be B1 as its more flexible.

Hope this is of help.

Stu.