PDA

View Full Version : Looping the B74

paulo
29th May 2004, 09:38
For fun, I asked about this here on pprune years ago. In amongst the very entertaining discussion, there was a link to a personal web site of an ex skipper who'd practiced the loop on his home PC and then apparently flown it to perfection in the sim after a check ride. It was a great read - ISTR he needed 20k do it top to bottom!

Anyone know if the story still exists?

Or better still, tell us about really doing it. :E

ZFT
29th May 2004, 09:51
With “Crash Inhibit” selected, you can do this on any simulator. Trouble is, the aero programme is not based upon flight test data so it cannot be determined to be correct.

I’ve tried this on literally dozens of sims and they all perform it – not 20K altitude though

paulo
29th May 2004, 10:04
Interesting - in the sim does it 'float' over the top, i.e. even without the test data does it 'feel' correct? (dunno if you are an aeros pilot).

With regards to G load, I read one proposition which was that, if anything is going to go, it would be engine mounts first as they ought to be first point of failure vs. the wings.

Sorry if this is a bit spotter-ish but the debate is lots of fun. :)

RUDAS
29th May 2004, 11:39
i suspect you'd have to take a bit of flap as it reaches the top of the loop to 'pull' it round? obviously having never tried it this is just a guess as i should imagine it would float.:confused:

ZFT
29th May 2004, 11:55
Paulo,

Without real data and the absence of G forces, it really is a meaningless micky mouse activity. Impresses visitors to the sim though.

(As the only aircraft I’ve ever looped is a glider, I’ve no idea just how representative it is. I personally doubt if there is any fidelity)

paulo
29th May 2004, 11:57
My guess is that by the time you get over the top, you wouldn't need any help getting it 'over' :p

The pull up and pull out would be fun though. Minimum loop entry is ummm 3 - 3.5 g ish?

Sorry ZFT - it's a just for fun post. I do fly aeros but don't fly heavies. :ok:

Kalium Chloride
29th May 2004, 11:59
I spoke to a fairly senior test pilot at Airbus who confirmed to me that the A310 will do a barrel roll, but who was surprisingly unforthcoming when I asked him how he knew. :E

paulo
29th May 2004, 12:05
Heh heh...

I'd love to think Tex wasn't the only one. :ok:

lomapaseo
29th May 2004, 13:19
I spoke to a fairly senior test pilot at Airbus who confirmed to me that the A310 will do a barrel roll, but who was surprisingly unforthcoming when I asked him how he knew.

So will the A300

They're still trying to solve that software glitch:O

foxmoth
29th May 2004, 13:25
There is actual film of the 707 being barrel rolled, not sure where, but I am sure someone will come know.

The Otter's Pocket
29th May 2004, 14:06
http://www.avpics.de/mov/civ/civ.htm

doubleu-anker
29th May 2004, 15:42
Loop a 747?? Of course it can be done. It's only an aeroplane, all said and done, so nothing to get too excited about.

However, when doing aerobatics in a non aerobatic A/C, the problem lies, if the A/C is overstressed, if the manoeuvre is screwed up Is the pilot that carried out this unapproved manoeuvre, going to go to engineering and say "I’ve just been aerobating this nice A/C but I think it has been overstressed it. Can you spend so many $$$ on looking it over"? Like hell!! He/she is going to clam up. There lies the problem. This applies to all A/C, not just heavies.

I know as well as you all, that aerobatics done correctly, no more G than a steep turn is put on the A/C, but when a manoeuvre is messed up and the A/C is overstressed and not reported, then someother poor :mad: has to fly the thing. Somewhere down the road, as A/C metal has a memory better than an elephant, it will give way.

I know of a light A/C (non aerobatics) that flew to pieces, and it transpired it had been aerobated on accasions years before.

411A
30th May 2004, 01:15
The only 'loop' that I am aware of that was tried in a transport aircraft was an AA (if I recall correctly) DC-4 just west of KELP, many many years ago.
A deadheading pilot reached down and applied the gust lock during cruise-climb...and the aircraft was 'bent' beyond repair.

Airline flying is a wonderful way to make a living, but every once in awhile, you find some jerk that is just not satisfied with operating the normal way, and wants to experiment.

For these I say...a pox be upon 'em.:mad: :mad: :mad:

BeechNut
30th May 2004, 02:02
I've looped my Beechcraft a couple of times, and yes, it's one of the rare C-23s certified for aerobatics (beefed up structure, spin fin on the bottom of the tail, strakes on the cowlings, quick-releases for the doors, and g-meter). You need to pull a constant 3.5 g's through the manoeuver.

I would NOT want to fall out of the top of a loop in a 747...but I imagine you can always reboot the flight sim.

Mike
C-GTLM

Intruder
30th May 2004, 02:14
The pull up and pull out would be fun though. Minimum loop entry is ummm 3 - 3.5 g ish?
That would depend on the thrust/weight ratio... If high enough, you could do it at 1.5 or 2 Gs.

I suspect that a light 744 would loop with little problem at 3.5 Gs. Since it's certified at 2.5 Gs at max weight of 369 Tonnes, it should be able to withstand 3.5 Gs once at 180 Tonnes, and with 113 Tonnes of thrust, it should go over the top handily...