PDA

View Full Version : Exams at Gatwick, a place to stay?

PicMas
28th May 2004, 18:52
Howdy,

I just received the letter, that I will be sitting the first 7 JAA ATPL exams at Gatwick.

As I am not too familiar with the area (I'm Danish), could anybody here kindly give me some pointers about where to stay, preferably a cheap motel or hostel, not too far from the aviation house.

MAS

QNH 1013
29th May 2004, 19:33
I'm surprised no-one with local knowledge has answered. I have always stayed in the Travelodge at Gatwick. Actually its about 2 miles down a dual carrriageway road from the CAA building. The price seems to vary from about £30 to £50 depending on how far in advance you book, but they don't charge your credit card until you arrive.
Its a bit impersonal, but you get an ok room and private bathroom. If you don't have transport you will need a taxi to take you to the CAA building which is in an area referred to as the "beehive". I would guess the taxi would cost between £5 and £10 each way. It wouldn't be a pleasant walk, as there is no footpath along the (fast) road.
I think the Travelodge booking number is 0870 900 3995.

Alternatively, if you ask the CAA at Gatwick, they may do a list of local accomodation.

Surely someone else on pprune has some local information.

JB007
30th May 2004, 00:32
Loads of decent Bed and Breakfast's in Horley - have a search on the internet. Massetts Road is where I think they all are...

The Gatwick Manor is also just down the road from Aviation House towards Crawley and reasonably priced - good bar attached too - for food, obviously if your doing exams!!!

And The Beehive is a building, not an area - GB Airways HQ and LGW's first terminal building.

bazzaman96
30th May 2004, 18:51
Gatwick's my local - don't stay in the hotels there as they are very expensive.

My advice would be to stay in Three Bridges Guest Lodge, about 5 minutes away in Crawley. Small B&B but very nice and also very cheap in comparison. The hotels in Gatwick/Horley charge too much!

PicMas
30th May 2004, 21:11
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Seems there are a lot of options in Massetts Road, the Three Bridges place looks nice too.

Now for an additional question, how about public transportation? is that even possible or is taxi the best bet?