PDA

View Full Version : Where is the line on passenger behaviour?

Gentle Climb
28th May 2004, 08:51
How bad does passenger behaviour have to get before something is done about it. Returning from Paphos this week, my wife and I were subjected to a group of men who boarded the aircraft in swimming trunks and sandals! (and smelt like they had sweated their way through the day) They had consumed a fair amount of beer (but were not by any means drunk) and used very excessive crude language thoughout the flight. One of the party held the plane up for ten minutes while he was in duty free and having eventually ambled on to the plane, he gave a variety of handsignals and gestures to his mates as he pushed his way to his seat. A passenger remarked to him about his gestures and language in front as he went past and was promptly told to 'F... off and mind his own business'. The cabin crew were not bothered because 'they are just having a laugh and are not a serious risk.

I am not prudish in any way. I love flying and the industry. I am however growing tired out loutish behaviour by people who have absolutely no respect for other people. Am I alone in believing that passenger behaviour (and the standards tolerated) are considerably lower than they were as little as five years ago.

warkman
28th May 2004, 10:49
What was the airline?

Have you written to their Customer Services?

Smudger
31st May 2004, 19:19
Why is it that some people turn into complete fools when they get on an aeroplane? I fly for a low-cost airline (not the orange or the fr) and the behaviour of some so-called responsible adults is just not acceptable. Recently I had to refuse two passengers carriage because they boarded the aircraft plastered - one of them sat down and (according to my No 1) promptly took out a bottle of vodka and started pouring it down his throat. It seems that they think that possession of an airline ticket gives them the right to behave however they like. They wouldn't do it on the bus or the train, so why do they do it on an aeroplane? Extreme stupidity like the case above is very rare, but it does make me wonder just what these people are like at home. Also, I wonder how many passengers are aware that it is illegal to be drunk on board an aircraft?

Avman
31st May 2004, 20:00
One of several reasons I avoid IT charter flights and LCCs. It's time airlines took responsibility to ensure that this loutish behaviour is NOT tolerated. If it was indeed as you tell it Gentle Climb I'd say that both the cabin crew and the Captain failed in their duties. Those louts should have been unceremoniously kicked off the flight.

er82
1st Jun 2004, 12:22
With tickets getting cheaper by the day, no wonder we now attract such individuals who probably don't know decent manners or how to behave respectably.
Throw then all off! Lets get air travel back to the way it used to be! A nice calming trip, surrounded by fellow humans (not animals) who are also there to relax and enjoy what used to be a slightly superior way of travelling!

reverserunlocked
1st Jun 2004, 13:19
I think this is more of an issue on IT charters than Lo-co's to be fair. I've flown with the Easy brigade on four return trips in the last month and each flight has been nothing but pleasant. I found most of the pax to be either suited business types, single people or families.

I flew to Alicante once (never again) with BY from BHX and it was a nightmare. All the charter stereotypes were on there... shell suited builders with tatoos, porky mothers with big gold earrings screaming at their offspring, skinheaded blokes all chanting football songs...since that day I vowed I'd never step on a charter ever again.