PDA

View Full Version : what do the airlines want?

Chrishammersley
27th May 2004, 21:34
You might think I’m jumping the gun a bit here, but could anybody tell me what the airlines want qualification wise? After getting a relatively large amount of GCSE's grade C and above, I am currently at college studying BTEC National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science, you may wonder why I chose this to become a pilot, and the answer is I don’t know why! Any way, after applying at Oxford Aviation Training, I passed the initial application, which I guess means my qualifications are all fine. Skipping past the training, assuming all goes well, what do the airlines want like A levels in physicals, degrees in philosophy, or is it, if you pass the training, the airlines will accept you? I wrote an e-mail to BA and they wrote back saying they cannot comment on individual questions, so they weren't very helpful, if anybody could help me. It would be much appreciated! Thanks
Chris

Charlie Zulu
27th May 2004, 21:44
Hi Chris,

Er... forgive me if I am wrong but an airline is usually more interested in your flying experience and licence, ie they would like to see someone with a JAA CPL/IR MCC and ATPL Subjects passed (ie a "frozen ATPL"), would they not?

:D

Other than that just obtain decent grades in your GCSE's, A Levels and a Degree if you go on to do it. An airline would prefer you to have three A's in Drama, English and Art rather than D's in Maths, Physics etc...

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Chrishammersley
27th May 2004, 22:41
i thought it might be that, i just wanted to make sure, its just that i dont want to spend £60k and find out that its not totally what the airlines want! thanks for your advice.

Pilot Pete
27th May 2004, 23:19
Bear in mind that there are plenty of self-funded pilots flying for airlines who do not have good school grades, but also bear in mind that times are changing and in the current market employers can be more choosy. The thing that counterbalances lack of formal education qualifications is hours and flying experience; for sponsorship you won't get a look in with 3 GCSEs and nothing else, but if you have a few thousand hours of jet time on the type they fly, most will call you to attend their selection for direct entry should they be recruiting, even if you only have 3 GCSEs.........

PP