PDA

View Full Version : stobe lights

alexban
25th May 2004, 16:23
Hy
Is it required to switch on the strobe light when crossing an active rwy ? if yes,where can I find this written?
I think it's safer to switch on the strobe while crossing rwys,just to be at maximum visibilty for other planes,but someone told me once 'it doesn't says this anywhere,so switch them off!'
I knew it says somewhere to keep them on ,but I don't remember where,if true.
Thks
Alex

Onan the Clumsy
25th May 2004, 16:36
I didn't think strobes were a requirement (not at my level at least) so I don't see how it could be a requirement to switch 'em on.

If anything, I'd have thought it was a requirement to keep them off on the ground to avoid distractions etc.

alexban
25th May 2004, 16:48
I was told ,when just a student, to keep them on untill vacating the rwy after landing,then ,somehow I remember that you should switch them on,during taxi ,ONLY, when crossing an active RWY. Maybe someone is trying to land or takeoff,by mistake?
When crossing rwys,you'll be the least visible for someone on the rwy. Just days ago an corean plane avoided by meters a chines plane entering by accident the rwy.Of course the strobe won't stop you entering the rwy by mistake,or someone taking off or landing by mistake,but why not give some more chances for all involved?
So ,back to my question
Thks
Alex

Right Way Up
25th May 2004, 18:24
Alexban,
I am not sure it is written down anywhere, but it comes under that old chestnut "airmanship".

BOAC
25th May 2004, 18:29
Alex - the answer to YOUR question is no, but Right Way Up has the correct answer.:D

sanket_patel
26th May 2004, 02:30
Alex, here in Canada strobe lights are not required by law to fly (as long as you have a beacon, nav lights, landing lights... etc) although strobe lights significantly increases an aircraft's appearence at night, and are now very popular from GA's to airliners. It is actually a good practice to turn on your strobes when crossing a runway, it is not law, but good practise! I turn them on when I cross any runway. You'll get noticed much more easily by someone that made an error (ATC/Pilot) ex: if you have an aircraft that is mistakenly landing on a wrong runway, he/she might notice you before it's too late. Go to any big airports and I guarantee you'll see some pilots turning on their strobes when they cross any runway.
Remember to turn them off as soon as you are again clear of the runways as it just becomes a nuisance on the apron.

Happy Flying

Intruder
26th May 2004, 17:36
Is it required to switch on the strobe light when crossing an active rwy ? if yes,where can I find this written?
Any such requirement is imposed by the operator. Find it written in the Flight Ops Manual and/or Flight HandBook.

This is a crisis
26th May 2004, 18:09
I think you may find it was an AAIB recomendation after a rather famous 'incident' at Heathrow that aircraft should switch on white strobes on entering the runway for departure. I would have thought it was equally applicable for aircraft cossing an active runway although the report was not that specific.

SLT
26th May 2004, 19:38
Full marks "This is a crisis"!! It was indeed, and therefore the CAA issued a FODCOM on it, requiring UK operators to amend their ops manuals to require the use of strobe lights when on an active runway. The full text can be read here - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FOD200114.PDF

Of course - as has already been pointed out - airmanship has to come into this somewhere....... :)