PDA

View Full Version : Unusual route home to Belfast

NWSRG
25th May 2004, 01:23
Hi folks.

Came home last night from LGW on one of Easy's shiny new buses. Very pleasant it was too. But the route seemed a bit unusual.

Cruising height was 38,000 ft, rather than 30,000 odd I would usually expect.

Also, rather than following the M1/M6 up towards MAN, and then turning left over WAL, we seemed to fly up the backbone of Wales, then kept going north over Blackpool.

Then rather than south tip of Isle of Man, we flew over the north end, headed for Donaghadee, and came into Aldergrove on a shallow angle from the localiser, only really lining up about a mile from the threshold.

Have to say that I enjoyed the slightly different route, but am curious as to the changes.

Can anyone shed any light for me?

PS. Martin O'Neill for Anfield!!!:ok:

You splitter
25th May 2004, 07:40
NWSRG,

There are airways that head over that way and then up to LPL. It could be possible that there was ATC restrictions in the North London or midlands area and this was simply a re-file to get away on time. As for the height it may just be that extra track mileage allows the aircraft to cruise higher.

Oh and sorry to dissapoint you but I think you'll find Mr O'Neill on his way to White Heart Lane! :ok: (Oh come on let me dream!)

eastern wiseguy
25th May 2004, 08:30
nwsrg

shallow angle from the localiser, only really lining up about a mile from the threshold

The route sounded normal......as for the above it sounds as though the aircraft was perhaps on a VOR/DME approach for runway 25 and not on the ILS .This will appear to be well south of what you may have experienced in the past.:ok:

kick the tires
25th May 2004, 09:03
Cruise heights are often capped by ATC, perhaps the 'deviation' from the normal route allowed the Bus to climb up to a more fuel efficent level.

Dont forget that the strip of airspace between LPL and BFS is very narrow and ATC often control min separation with constant turns of just 5 degrees. A route to the north will avoid such conjestion. Reroutes are often used to get away on time.

Another example is LPL - CDG. Southbound we are capped at FL290 whereas northbound there is no restriction and we are able to fly at out preferred FL400.

NWSRG
25th May 2004, 20:39
Thanks folks.

Eastern Wiseguy, why would you use a VOR/DME rather than an ILS approach? Presumably, a VOR/DME can only be used when final approach is in visual conditions? I'm guessing that a VOR/DME with an OBS of 252 gets you roughly in line with the runway at BFS. Then when visual, you can line up properly. Why would you do it this way rather than flying the ILS?

This stuff fascinates me, so please excuse my ignorance!!