PDA

View Full Version : how do you get a job after doing fATPL?

Jeffrobertmarshall
24th May 2004, 20:40
Currently considering taking ATPL course. Understand airlines need type rating and experience. So how do you go about getting your fist job without these?
What do I need to do to get my first job after completing ATPL?

Bobby Guzzler
26th May 2004, 09:38
I'm one of those great believers in creating your own luck.

The first thing I did when I finished my CAP509 was get a temp job in a big airline. My face got known within 2ish months with the management guys (which helps rather a lot). I went for a couple of interviews (not with the same airline) and because of 'that' temp job which initially I couldn't bear, I got a couple of job offers and now I'm flying a jet. And I put it down to that menial temp job! Just don't sit around after you finish the course expecting the job to come to you, because it won't - and that's what I think too many out there expect to happen.

I do think that luck can be created, although sometimes it does help to have a following wind! (Forgot to mention, just make sure you kick a55 on the course to give yourself the best chance). :)

henryIV
27th May 2004, 11:03
Bound and gag the first officer on whatever flight you happen to be on and start impersonating him.:8

MorningGlory
27th May 2004, 16:45
Create your own luck by networking and getting to know the right people NOW. Of course you could do this and still not get hired unless you are capable of gaining the frozen atpl and passing airline assessment (should you be invited to selection), believe you me it's far from easy.

There seems to be a common naivety amongst ppl's and people who have already gained their frozen atpl's that once the licence is in their hand, getting an airline job is easy; this unfortunately is not the case. Airlines need a lot of convincing that you are fit to fly their $40m planes..

Best of luck,

MG.