PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a Boeing 737 NG (self funded) rating.

POL.777
23rd May 2004, 07:04
I am thinking of buying a Boeing 737 NG rating (in JAR land)... Any recommendations? I would like to buy myself a rating with a bit of line training in order to enhance my chances of landing that first job.

Touch'n'oops
23rd May 2004, 14:24
I can't help you with the info you seek, but how long having you been trying to find work? And how old are you (If you don't mind telling)?

PaddyMcGinty
23rd May 2004, 20:32
I read on the forum a couple of months ago that sometimes buying a rating can actually hinder your chances of landing that first job as a lot of airlines eg. ryanair want to put their pilots through their own rating training. I'm not sure of all the details, maybe someone with more knowlegde could back this up. Make sure get all the info before putting the big money into a rating.

Farrell
24th May 2004, 09:50
I am just a student for ATPL, and don't know much about the ins and outs of type-ratings.....

However, I friend of mine who is a very experienced captain on DC10's is about to shelled out a collosal amount of money on an Airbus type-rating, but still no job yet!

Just make sure that it's worth it!

onehunga
24th May 2004, 13:46
Why not go into the Ryanair website and give gecat a call. Or Bond Aviation or Astreus (or maybe Bond are doing their type ratings?). At least then you are giving yourself a chance of being picked up during/after a course if you stand out in your class as those organisations tend to have "links" with certain airlines.

High Wing Drifter
24th May 2004, 14:31
POL,

How times change. A year ago anybody so much as hinting at a self-sponsored type-rating would have had a potato sack put over their head, hussled to and lynched from the nearest sturdy tree!

Now just helpful advice :8

POL.777
25th May 2004, 07:52
Seems to me that a rating is (one of) the only way(s) to get a job. I know a few guys who pulled a job, fresh out of school, by buying a Boeing rating, however I am aware that it is highly risky and controversial to do so (not to mention expensive).

POL.777
30th May 2004, 15:29
There must be some of you who bought yourself a rating after graduation (as mentioned earlier, I know a few myself). Where did you buy it and how much did it cost... (please pvt me if the info is to classified for the forum). Surely someone outside scandiland has bought a rating to enhance their chances of pulling a job.
Any advice is highly appreciated.