Hello!

Just reading through my ATPL notes about the AWR and it says

that to use it whilst on the ground may be damaging to people

and equipment!

The bit about being "damaging to people" interested me (dont

worry, I wont try it out in my Cessna ... not that I can anyway) -

but what would happen if I stood in front of an aircraft and told

the chaps in the cockpit to fire away?

Headaches? Violent technicolour yawning?

Thanks
ABO

Notso Fantastic
22nd May 2004, 22:18
It might not be apparent for a few years until you noticed that your reproductive system was not producing children, but you might not notice that because the cancer would get you first.

Human Factor
22nd May 2004, 22:56
At least you'll be able to read at night without a light. There are allegedly various military radars which will cook passing birds in flight. Will believe it when I see it! :E

Capt Fathom
23rd May 2004, 03:17
As we taxied out one sunny morning, with not a cloud in sight, my trainee insisted we have the wx radar on. As I cynically scanned the horizon, he stated it would 'scare off the birds'. Not more than 5 seconds passed before a hawk casually slipped by my window and proceeded to hover in front of the radome, before continuing on its way.
Needless to say there was no further discussion on the radar.

411A
23rd May 2004, 04:31
Dare say that one could sit, if one was so inclined, astride the nose of a jet airliner (on the ground of course) with the radar ON,
with no ill effects...other than being slightly bow-legged, Gene Autry style.
OTOH, to sit in front of a DEW line radar would be a different matter altogether.:ooh: :yuk: :yuk:

Notso Fantastic
23rd May 2004, 09:45
People are worried about moble phones cooking half their brains- treat weather radar as 'bad for your health'! There hasn't exactly been a whole battery of tests to see exactly what it will do. I won't stand next to my microwave when it's heating things up. Don't trust any of it (even your CRT TV may be bad for you)- nobody knows for certain.

ABO944
23rd May 2004, 10:20
So basically it isnt good for you then!

Bird 'frying' sounds fun! May have to try that one day!

Thanks for all the comments!

ABO

swh
23rd May 2004, 11:50
The new generation of Wx radar in some cases has an unsafe region of 0.6 m, this is not true for the older generation Wx radar.

mad_jock
24th May 2004, 23:19
Its all not good.

Minimise everything to do with ionising radation. Its abit like smoking every little bit if passive or not takes minutes off your life.

If there is aplane in front leave it on standby. Its a bit like leaving the taxi lightsoff when an aircraf s crossing in front. Its just bloody good manners.

MJ

PS I used to be a bomber and my father is an RPA. Don't mess with the **** I once had to drive 2 hours with I guy I knew was going to die with radiation sickness. Unfortunatly the doctor didn't!!!!!

OE-LBA
25th May 2004, 17:19
Maybe a very intelligent (;)) question, but:

What are the effects on yourself (as pilot) when the wx Radar is that strong even to produce 'fried pigeon' ??

greetz, Niki

Hudson
29th May 2004, 07:45
Go to Google search engine. Type in Health Physics Society. Then click on a link there called "Ask the Experts" and having done that type in Question No 315. The category is called Microwaves, Radar and Radiofrequency.

There you will find an excellent explanation of radar risks - basically none in modern radars.