PDA

View Full Version : HSBC - Which branches are 'in the know'

NW3
21st May 2004, 09:15
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the HSBC person mentioned on the FTE (Jerez) site (FTE (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/courses_finance.html)) - i.e. is he still about, and is he one of the better people to talk to about getting 60k for Jerez.

Having searched other threads, I know there are a couple of other branches out there who understand the situation, but was wondering if anyone had phone numbers, contacts, or branches that were especially good.

I'm currently trying to work out where to get the 60k from having been "half" selected by Britannia for their sponsorship course. Didn't get the sponsorship, but they will have me on the course if I fund it myself.

Any advice more than welcome.

Many thanks

NW3

Northern Highflyer
21st May 2004, 10:39
Well done NW3.

What an opportunity you have. Not sure on exact details but from reading these threads I understand that the Oxford (Kidlington ?) branch are used to this as they deal with the OAT students. Not sure which branch the CTC students deal with but someone on here may know.

With the backing of a good company like Brits, I would imagine you will have a better than average chance of persuading them to lend you the money.

Good luck

NHF

jd10k
21st May 2004, 12:15
I popped into my local HSBC branch (Sevenoaks) and asked for information about professional development loans.

I received a leaflet, opened it and there was mentioned 'loans for CPL training'

These people seem to understand the funding needs of wouldbe pilots!

Good luck

redsnail
21st May 2004, 13:59
CTC use the HSBC branch at Hyth near Southampton. Forgotten the guy's name.

ParagonFlyer
23rd May 2004, 10:29
I'm interested in how many people are aiming for full sponsorship, maybe i'm the stupid one here (quite likely), but isnt it better to look at working for few years trying to build some cash up.
The only reasons I can come up with so far are; lazyness or working in low quality jobs not being good for the Ego.

I at the moment am quite sure that I would be eligable for the loan but I want to work to get qualified to prove to myself whether I really want to do it. I actually have not really looked at the long term plan but have just taken to trying to afford to get ATPL's CPL/IR and MCC then see about training to become a commercial pilot then (because I assume thats when the training starts), I am just assuming the qualification as a licence to learn.

I am at the moment working away 9 months a year on general cargo ships with illegal hours etc, working xmas day.

I am the crazy one, or the guys taking 60,000 out in their name so that they can be qualified to begin training as a pilot.

(Also have noticed a lot of silly questions asked on the groups by people that I think would be better off walking into a flying club and talking to someone for five minutes, or are they too lazy to do that too)

N.B This post is probably only aimed at a minority, but i've been reading the forums for a long time and this had built up on me...

habcer
23rd May 2004, 12:07
I have a loan for £63,000 with HSBC. Just about to start my fATPL training. The repayments are £870/month for 100 months after the course. Interest rates look like they are going uo too! A personal guarantee was required

With no degree, I just hope theres a job waiting! If not, then McDonalds it'll be for 8 years! But if your that dedictaed, the risk is well worth it.

jd10k
23rd May 2004, 12:30
For some of us, the reason for going for full sponsorship is that:

a) Time is running out when one might be considered for a first job.

b) Current work does not pay enough to allow saving for funding... and taking an intermediate career is not really an option.

I am sure that for veterans of pprune, this may seem annoying, but for newbies it is dead interesting. (Desperate attempt to make self flameproof.)

John

Touch'n'oops
23rd May 2004, 14:21
Speak to Ian Kelly of the Bracknell High Street branch.

To get hold of him call the HSBC call centre and they will put you through.

Good Luck!:ok:

EGAC_Ramper
23rd May 2004, 21:47
This post is extremely interesting to read as I too am looking for funding.And I did remember HSBC being mentioned before.

Regards

nosewheelfirst
25th May 2004, 16:10
£870 pounds per month! If there is no job you will need to do more than work in McD's for 8 years :{
Good luck to you anyway Habcer and the rest of you that decide to take out a loan of that magnitude. Im sticking with modualr and toying with the idea of going to Canada tocomplete my training. I would like to do some flying out there for a while.

9owls
25th May 2004, 16:22
Well guys, I thought getting the ATPL and flying Biz-jets meant I had made it. Was I in for a shock, Just joined the orange brigade and had to fork out another£23,000 for a type rating. seems it never stops. Had to arrange with Linda Lovelace at the Hythe Branch of HSBC as they are the only branch that deal with the CTC scheme.

17 The Marsh
Hythe
Southampton
SO45 6ZB

And good luck, the view out of the office window means it's all worth it!!:ok:

LUKESTER
26th May 2004, 14:32
NW3 - I was given the contact of Janet Newman 01202 453102 she is based in Bournemouth but can advise you where to go nearer you!

Cheers

GuinnessQueen
26th May 2004, 14:46
Thats unbelievable!

I'm plodding along the modular route, working full time and often get annoyed that I'm taking so bl**dy long to get bits complete, but all of a sudden it doesn't look so bad!

Admittedly I don't have the pressure of age (25 at the moment and should be finished in next 2 years). Despite working I don't seem to be saving as such for any of the modules, I can just about afford to stay current, therefore a loan will be required for the MEIR / MCC modules. But £870 month for 8 years is a very big milstone around your neck... I hope it works out for you!

Sorry for thread hijacking......

GQ

Leezyjet
26th May 2004, 20:26
I visited the Slough High Street branch a few weeks ago.

I didn't have an appointment, as I was only making a provisional enquiry, but a manager did come to speak to me (bit of relief I think from the asylum seekers). He said that he did know about the loans for the CPL course as they had done them before but, bearing in mind I am 29 have 10 years aviation experience and earn a fairly decent salary, can take 12 months out and still go back to my airline job and also have property to put up for security, they said I would need to put on £10K of my own money !!!.

Yeah, like I have that saved....... :(

He also said you need to be a customer of HSBC for at least 6 months and use them for your main bank account before they will consider you.

;)

heinzmanm
1st Jun 2004, 19:13
Forgive me if I'm incorrect by saying this, but do you not need to apply for the loan at your own HSBC branch?
I have been making enquiries about the Professional Studies loan too but was told that the decision to give me the money would be up to the manager of my own branch.
Is it possible to just contact one of the 'in the know' branches/managers to arrange the loan?

Would appreciate any comments/stories that people have regarding this.

Matthew

NW3
1st Jun 2004, 20:30
I currently bank with Barclays, and would therefore have to move to HSBC, and consequently to the branch of the manager I go and see. If you're already an HSBC customer I'm not quite sure!

NW3

EGAC_Ramper
1st Jun 2004, 22:16
Fingers crossed I'm away in on Thursady to speak to them!!:ugh:

Capt. Manuvar
2nd Jun 2004, 17:02
heinzmanm
You don't need to apply to your own branch, My branch didn't have a clue as to what the loan was all about so i went to the city centre branch and got approved.
I had over 2 ys banking history with them, a PPL and flying experience as well as some savings. I think that helped.

heinzmanm
2nd Jun 2004, 18:12
Capt.Manuvar - Thanks!

My parents have kindly offered to act as guarantors for my loan so I'm not expecting any real problems. I've also done a business plan which outlines my course costs, career plans etc. so hopefully they'll be kind to me!
Following your advice, I think it would be better to approach one of the branches that are a bit more used to CPL loans.
Out of interest, which one did you use?

Matthew

7-Zark-7
2nd Jun 2004, 20:43
Hi,

I managed to borrow £39k from HSBC Hertford branch, in Hertfordshire. When I first applied they didn't know a great deal about the professional studies loan - Well they do now!

I presented a business plan and my father agreed to be the guarantor which helped. I did not bank with HSBC before I took out the loan and had to close down my Barclays current account, which I think is a condition of the loan. Contact there is Helena Grubb 01992 903006 - very helpful.

7-z-7

jd10k
3rd Jun 2004, 09:46
I have been to see my local HSBC manager - she was very interested. Just have to produce evidence of degrees, etc and a timetable for the draw down of funds... then she will make the decision. (Fingers are so tightly crossed that fingers are hurting.)

JD

JohnnyPharm
3rd Jun 2004, 11:27
Try the Glasgow branch of HSBC and ask for Cameron.

He is very knowledgeable and eager to help.

He has approved quite a few especially for integrated courses and is well genned up on all the providors. Was going to give me £60k against my house to go to Jerez, but I decided against it (too much to risk). As I say he is very helpful and very knowledgeable on the airline industry.

Straightandlevel80kt
3rd Jun 2004, 20:31
Hi guys!

This is a good thread. Just some pointers from one who considers themself lucky to have ducked out of a £63K loan and integrated ATPL 2 weeks before commencement:

1) There is currently no 'off the shelf' loan product for this sort of thing, so HSBC Branch managers have discretion as to how and what they lend their own customers. You can usually swap branches if an existing customer, or just sign up there and then as a new customer. It's a case of phoning around until someone says yes.

2) A £63K loan = £77K repayment. That's a lot of money, so you'd better make sure you have a guaranteed source of income from 6 months after graduating (or failing!) for the next 10 years, which will cover living expenses and £870+ per month in repayments. You'll probably need a further £20-30K spare to pay for the type-rating and extra hours you might need to get a job.

3) A secured loan is better than a guarantee. It limits the liability to the secured amount (i.e. your parents will lose their house), whereas a guarantee will allow the bank to chase your guarantor for the entire debt, plus interest, plus any further debt you ever have (i.e. your parents will lose their house, their car, the clothes off their back and everything else). The liability is endless. Get a solicitor to check the small print.

4) The bank takes no risk. £60K is virtually nothing to the bank, when you consider this is a minority market, and the loan agreements are watertight. The man who sells you the loan will probably have moved on and upwards in a few years, so despite any reassuring words, the bank WILL come after you if you default, and they will hold you to the loan agreement you have signed.

5) The bank couldn't give a stuff about your flying career. They want your business now and in the future because whether everything works out for you, or whether they have to chase you through the courts and repossess your grandmother, by tying you to a loan agreement, they stand to make at least £14,000 in interest and have you by the short and curlies for every future financial product you might need or want.

6) Fuel prices are going up. So could the cost of your training. I've seen it happen before, and that possibility will be included in your training contract, which is fair enough, but read it carefully so that you can allow for it.

There's more, but I hope this is useful in helping you make the right decision...

Best of luck.