PDA

View Full Version : RIAT Mourns Co-Founder's Death

AirportsEd
19th May 2004, 16:39
The RIAT press office has announced the death of Paul Bowen, co-founder of the Royal International Air Tattoo after a six-month battle against lung cancer.
IMHO a great loss to all who enjoy this great annual event - thanks for some great days out Paul - RIP...

Man-on-the-fence
19th May 2004, 20:07
A very sad loss indeed.

I that the pleasure of a few long chats with Paul at vairous RIAT related events. He came across as avid enthusiast with a passion for aviation.

My Condolences to his family, friends and all at RIAT

waco
20th May 2004, 11:15
Very sad....RIP

Genghis the Engineer
20th May 2004, 15:11
Huge numbers of people have been affected - all to the good - by Paul Bowen's work over many years. He leaves a hole that will be very hard to fill.

G

TC_LTN
20th May 2004, 17:25
Paul epitomised a dwindling breed amongst Air Traffic Controllers who live, sleep and breathe aeroplanes to the extent they will do almost anything to be involved with aviation and aviators 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. Some 33 years ago Paul (and Tim) took this infatuation to its ultimate conclusion and decided to get involved in the organising of an Air Show. The rest, as they say is history, but that infectious enthusiasm and natural showmanship, as well as genuine support and friendship has rubbed off on many of us, not just other ATCOs but many thousands of 'total aviation people' who have 'volunteered' to be part of the 'Team'. The sense of loss and sadness that I feel at this news is, of course, nothing to that being experienced by Paul's family and colleagues at Fairford. IAT has always meant 'Paul and Tim' to me and I suspect that in mourning Paul, we must all re-double our support for Tim, at this incredibly difficult time for him, in perpetuating Paul's legacy, the finest Airshow in the world.

RIP

Jonathan