PDA

View Full Version : A few photos from the RAF Museum - Hendon

Duxford_Eagles
19th May 2004, 00:53
Here's a series of photos that I shot whilst trying out my new camera on some indoor shots. Hendon's certainly a challenge, with lighting that ranges from reasonable in the new milestones hall to "where's my torch?" in the Battle of Britain and Bomber Command halls.

Rob

20/05/2004
Images removed after the traffic exceeded my ISP's bandwidth limits. I'll paste a link to a website with the photos on in a few days.

Sorry, Rob

Daifly
19th May 2004, 18:56
Quality - and the best bit? It's now FREE!

(Finally, I've found something to thank the Government for!)

vintage ATCO
19th May 2004, 20:15
(Finally, I've found something to thank the Government for!)

Be quiet, they'll tax it . . . :rolleyes:

Nice pix, Duxford_Eagles

LowNSlow
20th May 2004, 03:59
Nice pics Rob. I visited Duxford a few weeks ago and was impressed at how much it has improved since my last visit a few years ago.

It still upsets me that they won't restore the Halifax using the excuse that "it's a tribute to how it was found". What utter bolleaux. One of only two "complete" Halifaxes in the world, not counting the excellent replica in the YAM or the tatty nose section in the IWM. The Canadians are restoring the Mark VIII (I think) that was recovered from Holland and are well advanced with it. Surely some Lottery, sorry Lotto, money could be diverted to restore this unique Mark II Halifax?

noisy
20th May 2004, 09:52
LowNSlow,

I will not be hijacking this thread, but why do you care* so much about the Halibag? She's got more holes than a Swiss cheese I'm afraid, and is beyond properly restoring now. Maybe when she came out of the lake...

:(

*Read: why are you so interested in this particular airframe?

LowNSlow
20th May 2004, 13:56
noisy I suppose my interest comes from feeling that the contribution of the Halifax to WW2 in all it's guises has been so overshadowed by the Lanc. My dad was a Flight Engineer with 158 Sqn (Halifaxes surprise, surprise) and flew a few ops in the famous Friday 13th. As the only "complete" genuine Halifax airframe in the UK, I feel that it deserves to be restored. Other aircraft in far worse shape that the RAFM's Hali have been rebuilt to museum display standard. Despite it's looks the Hali is in remarkably good basic condition as it spent it's time in a very cold, very low salt environment. A major contribution to it's dishevled look is the fact it's covered (sensibly) in preservative. The half hearted attempt at restoring the nose turret makes it look even worse in my eyes.
As I mentioned earlier, the Canadians are restoring the Hali VIII that they recovered (in no better condition that the RAFM's example) so that they have a representative example of the two heavy bombers that so many Canucks sacrificed their lives in. Pity we can't do the same eh? The YAM have managed to take a very tatty fuselage, some Hermes wings, scratch built nose and tail to make a fantastic replica of Friday 13th complete with fully restored turrets. Why can't the RAFM do something similar?

noisy
20th May 2004, 14:11
1) Are you within commuting distance of Hendon?
2) Are you prepared to get your hands dirty?

allthatglitters
26th May 2004, 20:45
One quite Sunday afternoon, during the summer of last year I visited Hendon with the kids, surprised to see that it was free. We were all happy with the visit, from my 8 year old son upto the 16 year old daughter, the only shock was to see the ex BA L1011 procedures trainer in there that I had used in 1980. Made me feel quite old.