PDA

View Full Version : England To Ireland - BHX -> DUB

martinhardy
14th May 2004, 00:13
Quick Question,

Can u travel with a Photo Driving Licence to ireland is it classed as a domestic route????

It would be with Mytravellite BHX to DUB

Pls Say Yes!!!

Thanks

Martin

dada
14th May 2004, 00:51
believe you can but why don't you take it anyway/

martinhardy
14th May 2004, 00:56
Its not me,
i want to take my grandma back to dubin where she grew up but she does not have a passport. So wanted to see if i can get her to fly with her Photo ID driving licence

dada
14th May 2004, 01:02
fair enough, still believe you can but can she still drive?

martinhardy
14th May 2004, 01:06
Of course she can, she had her ID renewed last yr. Might be 78 but u cant get her away from the wheel.

dada
14th May 2004, 01:09
why don't she drive there instead then if she likes it so much?

Toulouse
14th May 2004, 07:22
martinhardy:

Your grandmother can enter Ireland from the UK with her driving licence. I suppose you could say Ireland-UK is a domestic route nowadays, just as is any flight within the EU. No EU citizen entering Ireland requires a passport, yet they must have some sort of official ID (such as a driving licence). EU citizens usually bring their national ID card, but as that doesn't exist in the UK, her DL will do.

Anyway, hope you have a great time in Dublin. She certainly won't recognise the place if she hasn't been back in a while. I left DUblin myself in 1992 only and I don't know the place anymore when I go back... great fun to be had there. Just remember, NO SMOKING in ANY PUBLIC place in Ireland!

Bon Voyage!

Torque2
14th May 2004, 07:25
Yes should be the answer, but belt and braces, call the MYL call centre and ask, they will make a note of your call on your booking and you will then have it verified on the computer screen if anyone queries it. Good luck. :ok:

johnwalton
14th May 2004, 10:45
From http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618387252 :

United Kingdom passport holders do not require their passport to visit Ireland for immigration purposes. However, some airlines require photo ID for travel between the UK and Ireland (and between some UK airports). Check with your airline when booking your ticket what is required. It is a good idea to take your passport anyway, just in case.

Check before you travel that your bank cash card can be used in the hole-in-the-wall cash dispensers in Ireland. Remember that the currency in Ireland is the Euro.

Make sure that you have sufficient medical insurance to cover your stay in Ireland. If you need a doctor you may be asked to pay for the consultation there and then.

You should take with you form E111, which should be completed before you leave the United Kingdom (see UK Department of Health leaflet, "HEALTH ADVICE FOR TRAVELLERS" ( Department of Health, advice to travellers ) tel: 0800 555 7777). This can be obtained from most post offices, and entitles you to emergency medical treatment on the same terms as Irish nationals.

dada
14th May 2004, 19:04
like i said in the first place, believe you can. listen to the dada. i talk crap most of the time.