PDA

View Full Version : solo before airlaw?

thwock
13th May 2004, 17:22
i always understood it was airlaw exam pass before solo and nav pass before solo outside the circuit. is this written down anywhere or just habit
any idea's

Evo
13th May 2004, 17:33
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13772&highlight=solo+air+law

HTH

BigEndBob
13th May 2004, 19:34
As the link points out, its often used to 'force' students to get air law out of the way before first solo.
I,ve often thought this to be detrimental to students progress.
The student can reach a peak of confidence, suitable wx. etc. only not to go solo because air law has not been passed.

Pre solo all that is needed is knowledge of collision avoidance, light signals, aerodrome signals, right of way.
I would much rather see a simpler, say a twenty question exam thats requires 100% pass on the above.
The instructor can then satisfy himself that the student has the basics, most important part of air law learnt and the student has more confidence (he/she has passed an exam!).

Many has been the rainy afternoons trying to explain transition altitude, quadrantals to someone who barely knows what an aircraft looks like. Plus the student begins to think its all very hard. It becomes a selection procedure, to discover who are most determined to come to grips with it.
For most learning to fly is a hobby, its meant to be fun,
not a tedious drudge, through pages of crap.
Whats important behond the procedures is knowing where to find the information. For instance, who cares how a charity flight is paid for...look it up.

Evo
14th May 2004, 08:40
One further thing occurs to me. IANAL, but I would have thought that, in the event of an accident involving a solo student, a school would be (more) open to a claim of negligence if they had not ensured that the student had a reasonable understanding of the task in hand. This would imply an understanding of the Rules of the Air, for example, before flying solo, and further topics such as Navigation and Meteorology before being allowed out of the circuit. So while it may not be a legal requirement to pass Air Law, it would be pragmatic of the school to require it of students.

jsf
14th May 2004, 09:08
Air Law as an introduction to the theoretical training is enough to put anyone off doing the groundschool. I start them on Aircraft General Knowledge which is far more relevant to the flying training up to first solo. They usually crack this off well before first solo and then also get air law done as well.

Most schools get the students to do Air Law first as an ars* covering exercise in case of problems. A good ground brief on the essentials is a good back up plan in case they don't get air law done, and a signed briefing sheet to say they received and understood the air law brief.

I personally would rather the student understands the forces in a turn and mechanics of flight thoroughly than the Chicago convention.

jsf

BigEndBob
14th May 2004, 13:07
Perhaps its better to formally brief and question the student on the basics Air law i.e. collision avoidance, right of way, etc get them to sign off to say they have been briefed and understood, in the same way i always signed off all simulated emergencies in the student logbook and record sheet (in case one or other goes up in flames!) to cover my a***. Leave the Air Law exam to a later date.

fireflybob
16th May 2004, 17:15
Common sense says that the instructor is not going to send the student on a first solo unless he/she is fit for the task.

I know there is always liability to consider but I am getting a bit fed up with all this PC stuff. Our hands our tied teaching EFATO due to Rule 5 etc but they have to pass Air Law before solo!!

So we cannot teach him how to save his life if the engine quits after take off but it's ok to fill his head with all the air law guff.

I say that as qualified instructors WE are the people who know best as to whether the individual student is fit for the task on that day. Ask any instructor what it feels like when your fledgling pilot is doing a first solo!!

jsf
17th May 2004, 18:01
fireflybob

but I am getting a bit fed up with all this PC stuff

Not just me on that one then!

As you say, they are either ready on the day or they're not

jsf

Tinstaafl
19th May 2004, 17:03
In Oz the system has a pre-solo exam (or did. May have changed now). This exam is usually fairly short, circa 20 or 30 questions and is set by the school. It focuses on law & procedures specific to that school & aerodrome + basic knowledge specific to the aircraft eg limitations.

whatunion
28th May 2004, 20:25
I say that as qualified instructors WE are the people who know best as to whether the individual student is fit for the task on that day. Ask any instructor what it feels like when your fledgling pilot is doing a first solo!!

does that include irresponsible qualified instructors or have you not come across them yet?

jsf
29th May 2004, 15:44
whatunion

You sound remarkably like BEagle........are you related?

jsf