PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next?

samk_969
11th May 2004, 07:51
Dear All,

I was hoping that those of you who have become professional pilots could advise me and give your opinions on the best way to gaining a career in the flying world.

Although I do not need glasses to fly or drive, and pass the annual RAF instructors medical, they have told me that my eyesight is not perfect enough for me to join the service as a professional military pilot.

I am twenty years old and currently a Grade 2 pilot at RAF 635 VGS, flying the Grob 109B Vigilant, and am unsure of what to do next.

I appreciate any help and advice you could provide.

Many Thanks
Samantha

Pole Hill
11th May 2004, 08:22
samk_969,
The first step is to get a class one medical (cost £400 ish), you'll have to go to Gatwick to get the initial, renewals can be performed by any suitable AME (I think this stands for Aviation Medical Examiner :confused: ). There are plenty around the country.
If you're worried about your eyes inparticular, go to an optician with the Class 1 Medical Visual Requirements (You'll find it here) (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf) , and ask the optician to test your eyes to that specification. You can normally walk into an optician and get an appointment straight away, so you could do that ASAP. This will cost about £20, and will save you the hassle of going to Gatwick and finding your eyes do not meet the required standard. Remember, pilots are allowed corrective glasses (within limits specified in the above document), so unless you have got an eye problem such as glaucoma or colour blindness, you'll normally be able to correct long/short sightedness.
The next step is to do lots of research into the routes to gaining your professional pilots licence. Search this forum, though I am sure you'll appreciate that sometimes you'll have to take things with a pinch of salt. Also buy 'Guide to becoming a Professional Pilot', wrote by Clive Hughes. It's available from most pilot shops.
There are two routes to gaining an fATPL (frozen Airline Transport Pilots Licence), Integrated and Modular. There are two routes to funding the training, either an airline will pay if you are sponsored, or you will pay. Be aware that sponsorships are very few and far between, apply for sponsorships by all means, but expect to fund the training yourself. Your looking at realistically paying from £35K to over £60K.

This is only are start, but I hope this information sets you in correct direction.
All the best,
POL.