PDA

View Full Version : Unsure where or when to start!

Andy_20
10th May 2004, 10:12
Ive just turned 20 and currently serving in the Air Force as an Avionics Technician. I have gained a BTEC and NVQ L3 in Aerospace Engineering equivilent to 4 A Levels!
Im not totally happy with what i do, and decided that what i really wanted to do was fly!
What is the average age of someone who starts doing their cpl/ir?
What are the chances of people going for full sponsorship or would i need a degree?
Ive looked at both modular and integrated courses, but modular courses still baffle me as people are saying different things about it, if i took a modular course at CABAIR would i have to underatke the training at CABAIR or can i take it anywhere in the UK?
Which is the best modular course to take, if wanting the course doing ASAP with the least amount of hassle!

Pole Hill
10th May 2004, 10:42
What is the average age of someone who starts doing their cpl/ir?
I can't give you an accurate answer on that. To look at it another way, there's people from 18 'ish' to 40+ qualifying for their fATPL.

What are the chances of people going for full sponsorship or would i need a degree?
Sponsorships are few and far between. Apply for them, but expect to fund the training yourself. There are other schemes, such as CTC, but I don't know too much about these - I am sure other people will.
A degree is not compulsory for all sponsorship schemes, but it may help you. I wouldn't get a degree just to help your prospects on a sponsorship scheme, but this could be one advantage to getting a degree.

Ive looked at both modular and integrated courses, but modular courses still baffle me as people are saying different things about it, if i took a modular course at CABAIR would i have to underatke the training at CABAIR or can i take it anywhere in the UK?
If you go Integrated you do all of your training at one school, full time. It takes about 14 months, I think.
If you go Modular, you have much more flexibility. You can do each licence/rating where you like (as long as the school is approved). E.g. Your PPL at Cabair, your CPL at Tayflite.... Also, you can train part time around your current commitments, you have more time. You could do it in the same time as an Integrated course though.
So to answer your question, your not really doing it Modular at a particular establishment, because your not stuck to one establishment.
There is plenty on this forum on the pro's and con's of whether to take the Integrated or Modular route. My personal opinion, and thats all it is, is that Modular is the best route. It is cheaper, you 'graduate' with more hours, you're can do each section of the training where you like...

Which is the best modular course to take, if wanting the course doing ASAP with the least amount of hassle!
Thats up to you. If you want the training structured for you, but are willing to pay nearly twice as much for your training, go Integrated. An advantage is that the Groundschool will be taught in a class room.
If you want to do the training your own way, and want to save money, go Modular. The groundschool is achieved by distance learning, although there is still a ground school element. Whether this is an advantage or a disadvantage is your call, some people prefer distance learning, some don't.

There's a lot to learn. The best way to go is to get your PPL, get talking to other pilots, and get into the Flying environment.
Hope this helps and all the best.
POL.

Flypuppy
10th May 2004, 10:56
Have a read of the question for the professionals (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119608) thread which might give you an idea what to expect.