View Full Version : logging of student time

scubawasp
9th May 2004, 14:26
According to LASors:

'c. The holder of an instructor rating may log
as pilot-in-command all flight time during
which he acts as an instructor in an
aeroplane or supervises SPIC flying.'

I take this to me that if I send a student off solo, I can log all their flight time for that specific flight myself as P1. Some instructors have looked at me strangley when I've asked them!

Any thoughts?

Keygrip
9th May 2004, 14:49
Any thoughts?
Yes, in my opinion, your wrong.

You have to be "on board" the aircraft to log anything at all - and, even then, if the person at the controls is licensed and rated for that aircraft, in the airspace and conditions under which they are flying, you should let them log P1 - but that's a moral argument (assuming you are not instructing just to build hours at your students expense).

tacpot
9th May 2004, 16:40
According to LASORS

The holder of an instructor rating may log as pilot-in-command all flight time

I would say that "flight time" implies you are in the air.

BEagle
9th May 2004, 16:50
Probably one of the daftest ever PPRuNe questions. No of course you can't log the time you spend sitting on the ground watching your students fly!

Student pilot-in-command (SPIC) flight time is that during which the flight instructor will only observe the student acting as pilot-in-command and shall not influence or control the flight of the aircraft. SPIC hours can only be accredited for graduates of Integrated Courses for ATPL (A)/(H) and CPL(A)/IR.

In other words you have to be in the aeroplane watching the SPIC bumbling about to claim any P1 time - if you elect to take control or otherwise 'influence or control the flight of the aircraft', then the student will have to log it as Pu/t.

WestWind1950
9th May 2004, 17:00
all flight time during which he acts as an instructor in an aeroplane or supervises SPIC flying

you answered it yourself.... in an aeroplane

Westy

BlueLine
9th May 2004, 21:20
"SPIC" as defined in JAR-FCL 1.001 is only used on Integrated courses of pilot training, as a means of permitting the student to obtain 50 hours PIC under IFR, without holding an IR as required by JAR-FCL 1.175. The instructor who holds the IR is sitting next to them!

scubawasp
10th May 2004, 10:29
Probably one of the daftest ever PPRuNe questions

At least I know now the answer to the question BEgale. I wish we where all as great as you!

BEagle
10th May 2004, 10:45
Yes- perhaps I was a bit blunt. But how anyone could seriously imagine that they could log flight time for sitting on the ground watching someone else fly was beyond my belief!

Anyway, as you said, at least you know now.

scubawasp
10th May 2004, 11:12
Cheers BEgale, it was just the way they worded

or supervises SPIC flying.'

that made it a bit confusing, I agree with you, but that is why I asked the question.

Snigs
10th May 2004, 13:28
You can't log the time in your personal log book, but as an instructor you should get paid for it, after all you are supervising the solo, and hence your signature is in the a/c logbook!

scubawasp
10th May 2004, 15:20
Cheers for that!:ok:

BEagle
10th May 2004, 15:52
Yes, that's certainly true.

Whirlybird
10th May 2004, 16:32
BEagle,

It only appears daft when you know the answer. I asked almost the same question on this forum a bit back, for the same reason - it sounded as though you could log it. Once it was explained to me I felt very stupid and deleted the thread. I'm sorry now that I did that, since it could have helped someone else.

Not everything the CAA decide seems logical, so you can hardly blame any of us for taking LASORS literally.

muppet
11th May 2004, 14:25
Crumbs, hours building or what.

I wonder how scuba would fill in his log book when he takes three or four students out on a 'fly-out/in'.:D Let alone explain the entry in the log book at interview.:ooh:

scubawasp
11th May 2004, 15:27
Are most people not hour building for something? Their green licence, enough hours for a command, enough hours to become unrestricted, enough hours to become an examiner, enough to do their IMC or enough to complete their PPL so that they can start their ATPL studies........

enough to get the experience to become a better instructor???????.

If your not building hours or experience for something then you must have lost your drive and best let someone else take over I fancy:*