PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR - Home or Abroad?

karanou
9th May 2004, 12:04
Having run a number of searches I could do with a bit more advice in relation to whether to do (or should I say start) an IR in US or not.

I have a PPL and Class1 Med Cert, and now I am in the process of hour building and completing the 14 exams.

My plan was to go to US (possibly NAC March 05) to do a CPL.

My problem is, the more I think about it the more I feel not doing an IR in the same visit to the states would be a wasted opportunity.

As I quite like living in the good old UK, and dont plan on leaving to find employment, I understand that the IR would have to be completed here in UK. Has anyone actually followed this path

From my searches I see their are two trains of thought around this issue, so posts from personal experience would be very welcome.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer

Apologies for covering old ground here

Karanou :ok:

ramshorn
10th May 2004, 22:39
Hi!
I also have a PPL and am a few months away from my 1st ATPL wtittens, so similarly concerning further flight training am absolutely confused! Actually,its not that bad, but it can be confusing trying to filter out the good advice from the not so good!
I already have an FAA IR, which i will have to convert here in u.k.Probably Bristol,as they seem to come pretty well recommended for IR training then probably off to the states for CPL.The two schools i've looked into are EFT and Naples air centre.Have put a thread out for any advice on these,for which i await replies.
If i didn't already have FAA IR i would think seriously about EFT as they do the JAA IR,partly in the U.S,and partly at Shoreham u.k,and seems to work out financially better than just going to an FTO here for the IR.

Good luck,and i'll let you know of any relevant info as and when.:ok: