PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann ORK to BRS and SOU

MerchantVenturer
7th May 2004, 21:56
I checked the Aer Arann website timetable today and was surprised to see that the frequency between ORK and BRS and between ORK and SOU has been reduced.

BRS was flown one daily rotation Mon-Fri and one rotation on Sundays until recently, using ATR 72 machines. The timetable now seems to indicate that the service will be operated only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays (one rotation on each of these days).

I checked the CAA provisional figures for March and 2110 scheduled pax flew the route. This would give an average loading of 39, about 60% loading on an ATR 72 but, if ATR 42s had been used, a loading of around 80%. The February figures were only a tiny fraction lower.

Can anyone confirm this reduction in frequency? There is nothing on the Aer Arann website (other than a check of the timetables) nor on the Bristol Airport website.

On the face of things it would seem an extraordinary decision having regard to pax numbers. How could an airline hope to improve average loadings by flying only on Tuesdays and Thursdays instead of on each weekday?

SOU now seems to be flown on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays (one rotation on each of these days). The CAA provisional figures for March showed 1303 scheduled pax using this route. I'm not sure whether SOU had already been reduced to four days a week in March or whether the figures reflect six days a week. I know they used to fly M-F and Sun at one time.

Tom the Tenor
8th May 2004, 12:51
You are quite correct in your observations about RE to BRS and SOU. Here in Cork we too do not know what the wisdom is either behind such a reduction in capacity to Bristol and Southampton. Reducing to just x 3/7 will just about be enough to kill the route off. Remember in the 1980s Dan Air had a daily Viscount to Cork from BRS/CWL!

Perhaps it is a part of RE big expansions this summer out of GWY, Waterford and Kerry and they are short of aircraft and crews?

Incidentally, RE have also changed around with the evening times ex ORK to DUB. Timings appears to be a little less attractive than they were in the winter schedule for the business traveller Oh, well, they know better!?

The RE prices at the weekends to BHX are sometimes sky high too. With the withdrawal of BEE from BHX-ORK guess RE can charge whatever they want and the consumer is the one paying the very high price! Pity, but it is all about yield these days isn't it?

By the way the ORK-JFK charter series has been cancelled. Yet another big disappointment at Cork this year.

MerchantVenturer
8th May 2004, 17:22
Tom

I can never see any point in operating 'scheduled' services three or four times a week on short haul. How many people are going to fit into the pattern of wanting, or being able, to travel on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday? Even more mysterious is the reduction of ORK-BRS to three rotations a week when it carried almost twice the pax in March of ORK-SOU which is being operated four times a week.

It would have been better in my eyes to have withdrawn from the route entirely giving someone else the chance of a clear field.

BRS has a very pro-active management and I suspect they will be quickly looking for another carrier. The equivalent of 80% loading in March on such as an ATR 42, ERJ 145 or DH 8-30 (and the prices weren't particularly cheap) must surely be an attractive proposition to someone.

Ironically, Brymon/BACX mucked about with this route in the late 90s, operating something like M, W and F each week via PLH.

redfield
8th May 2004, 18:48
Arran have reduced the frequency of the flights because they don't have enough a/c to cover all their routes. Now there's an original excuse!:uhoh:

MerchantVenturer
15th May 2004, 12:47
I queried Aer Arann's decision with Bristol Airport and have now had an email response from a member of the BRS management team, someone I know who has his finger on the pulse of airline operations in the south west.

He told me that Aer Arann reduced the ORK-BRS flights from six rotations per week to three because of very poor yields. My informant said he wasn't so sure about this. Given the average loads already mentioned in this thread, and the not cheap fares (at least when I have looked) it is surprising that Aer Arann say this about the yields.

My informant suggested that the aircraft were needed for the airline's Galway routes to BHX and MAN. He also said that Aer Arann can get 'better deals' from other Irish airports than at ORK.

smiert spionom
15th May 2004, 13:54
MerchantVenturer,

As the GWY-MAN and GWY -BHX routes is flown by an ATR 42 it cannot physically be the very same aircraft that they have moved from the BRS - ORK route as this was and still is flown by a 72.

Smiert Spionom

MerchantVenturer
15th May 2004, 17:10
Yes, I realise that.

Looking at the average loads in recent months it appears that a 42 would have been more appropriate equipment and would have given an average of around 80% loading. One wonders why they put on a 72 in the first place.

Having said this I am not sure how more economic a 42 is to run compared to a 72. I presume the latter requires an extra cabin staff member so there is one additional cost straight away.

I think the inference from the BRS management was that a 42 would not be available anyway now because of the need at Galway.

I also gained the clear impression that BRS is looking round for a new carrier in case Aer Arann does not restore the six rotations a week in the winter.

I cannot see how three rotations a week will improve either average loads or yield but then I am not an aviation economist.

aeftutor
18th May 2004, 16:12
Aer Arran only use an Atr42 on the ORK - SOU route & appear to be getting loads of between 20 & 35