PDA

View Full Version : IR renewal - who is the cheapest?

P!ggsy
5th May 2004, 14:49
I'm looking for a place to renew my IR in the next few months and I'd like a bit of advice about where to go. Also, is it better (cheaper) to renew both MEP and IR at the same time or to separate them (IR in sim and MEP in aircraft)?

thanks

D 129
5th May 2004, 22:48
In the absence of any firm numbers ...

The OATs and Cabairs of this world aren't too used to seeing their ex students coming back to renew after one year of job hunting. BUT it is a real fact of life at the moment and it seems daft to turn up at interview no longer current.

BUT you should be able to do a deal - pick up the phone and give it a try. (Look at Flight, Pilot, Todays Pilot etc). I know that OAT would consider doing renewals. One important fact - I believe that you can renew on a simulator - should save a bit !.

Cheers
D129

PS - Once you get some figures - please post them here !

Snigs
6th May 2004, 07:35
Anywhere with an FNPT2 simulator is going to be the cheapest (or cheaper than flying the aircraft anyway). Bristol Flying Centre is an example.

IRRenewal
6th May 2004, 07:51
Just remember that the MEP can only be done in the A/C, if you would want to renew that as well.

A few years ago I got stuck and used an examiner from one the the big schools as the one I had organised privately went tech.

They charged me 180 pounds examiner's fee, which is the going rate, PLUS 2 times 100 pounds being the hourly rate for 'advanced instruction', so 380 pounds examiner fee!

Cheapest way to do it is organise an aircraft outside the approved FTOs and find your own examiner. Assuming you can go straight into test (no training required) a MEP/IR renewal on an aircraft shouldn't be much more than 600-700 pounds in total. You might have to do without HSI and RMI though.

Regards

Gerard

Mark Raynes
6th May 2004, 07:52
I would strongly recommend Professional Air Training at Bournemouth.Give them a ring and they'll advise you as to MEP etc.I don't know if they'll be the "cheapest" as far as actual published prices by the hour,but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that this is far from the full consideration,as quality of instruction and not dragging it out will save you money and heartache.Good Luck,Mark.

Global Pilot
6th May 2004, 08:54
I would highly recommend Simulator Training Services@Bournemouth. Give Mike Boulton a call, his mobile is 077998 87274 or contact him via email. He usually replies quite promptly. You can get his email address on www.simulatortrainingservices.co.uk

I did my renewnal last September, approx 1.5-2 hours to get up to speed and the renewnal the next day. Total all in cost, £680 including the examiners fee.

Using the FNPT2 sim allows you to fly real single IFR. Multi IFR is restored on completion of MEP. I would only renew MEP if I was actually flying twins. If you are on the job market then you only need a current IR to commence a type rating.

Now only a few months to go before my next renewnal....hope the next interview works out so they can pay for it.

rgds,

GP.

BillieBob
6th May 2004, 10:17
Using the FNPT2 sim allows you to fly real single IFR. Multi IFR is restored on completion of MEP. I would only renew MEP if I was actually flying twins. If you are on the job market then you only need a current IR to commence a type rating. That's a little misleading. In order to commence a multi-pilot type rating course you must have a current multi-engine instrument rating.

JAR-FCL 1.250

(a) Pre-requisite conditions for training: An applicant for the first type rating for a multi- pilot aeroplane type shall:
(1) have at least 100 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes; (2) have a valid multi-engine instrument rating (A);

Global Pilot
6th May 2004, 12:17
"JAR-FCL 1.250

(a) Pre-requisite conditions for training: An applicant for the first type rating for a multi- pilot aeroplane type shall:
(1) have at least 100 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes; (2) have a valid multi-engine instrument rating (A);"

This is correct and using an FNPT2 you will have your IR renewed. You will however be unable to operate a twin because the MEP has elapsed. You can however commence the type course as you meet the requirements having a valid MIR(A).

IRRenewal
6th May 2004, 17:41
BillieBob,

Don't confuse a current IR with a valid IR.

The cheapest way to comply with the requirements to start on a MPA type rating is not to renew/revalidate at all. Your IR is still valid, though not current.

Regards

Gerard

LoopGuru
6th May 2004, 17:54
So a valid MIR(A) is not the same as a current MIR(A)?

Can someone please clarify this, cos I'm a bit confused (must be my age!).

My MEP is due for renewal in June, but my IR not until October. I don't fly multi-engine aircraft, so are you saying I shouldn't bother renewing my MEP?

TIA

LoopGuru

IRRenewal
6th May 2004, 19:25
'Current' means you can actually go and execute the privileges.

'Valid' means you have it on your licence.

The requirements for a MPA type rating state the requirement to have valid multi engine instrument rating. There is no mention that it needs to be current, nor is there a requirement to have either a current or a valid MEP class raing.

Hope this helps

Gerard

BillieBob
6th May 2004, 21:26
Sorry guys, an interesting set of opinions but wrong - you need to understand the semantics.

JAR-FCL 1.185

An IR(A) is valid for one year. If an IR(A) for a multi-engine aeroplane is to be revalidated the holder shall complete the instrument requirements of JAR–FCL 1.245(b)(1), which may be conducted in a flight simulator or FNPT II. If an IR(A) for single-engine aeroplanes is to be revalidated the holder shall complete, as a proficiency check, the skill test set out in Appendices 1 and 2 to JAR–FCL 1.210, except for Section 6.

Thus, after one year your MEIR ceases to be valid. You may revalidate on a multi-engine aeroplane and hold a valid MEIR for a further year or revalidate on a single-engine aeroplane and hold a valid SEIR for a further year. This is also the opinion of the CAA as stated to us at our last TRTO re-approval inspection.

redsnail
6th May 2004, 22:37
Don't confuse cheap with good. I'll let the others carry on about legalities.
If you haven't flown for a while, see if you can get an instructor to set you some challenges to get you thinking again. This should make the renewal easier to handle. It's good for your confidence too.

IRRenewal
7th May 2004, 05:29
All,

Have a look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126595) where the valid/current issue was discussed.

Anyone cares to call the CAA and get a final opinion? Try to get it in writing though.

To add to this, I know at least two chaps who started a B737 type rating without a current IR who now have the type on their licence.

EL SID
7th May 2004, 07:03
Try West Wales Airport - they have a FNPT2, last year I did the IR renewal for £350, which incuded about 1.8 hours practice and then the test. This was all in including VAT. I hear they charge £400 for the same service now. Tel number: 01239 811100