PDA

View Full Version : Flying instructor

eyuppp
4th May 2004, 12:35
Hi all,

I've been unable to find a topic on becoming a flying instructor on Pprune so my apologise if one exists.

I always wanted to be a pilot but my eyesight was not brilliant (ok, it was -3dioptres worse case) so I became an engineer after graduating from Uni, and this paid for my PPL training.

I've since noticed that the eyesight requirements for a class one have now been relaxed(!) to -5 dioptres(?). I quite like my engineering job but would still like to fly commercially (and also feel a little old to be starting training at 31!!! Yes I know, its not that old really.... ;o) ) and so thought of becoming a flying instructor, or at least an assistant flying instructor then I could fly at weekends and teach other people how to fly.

Has anyone got any comments about this alternative career? Seems an alternative way of getting airborne, but without the stress of giving up my job.

Cheers

Cloud Chaser
4th May 2004, 22:16
Currently, to gain remuneration for work as an instructor requires a minimum of a CPL and FI rating. This requires ground exams up to at least CPL level, a CPL training course, and flying instructor course (FIC). This assuming you already hold a PPL, night rating and have (if memory serves) 150 hours.
As for the eyesight requirements, I have no idea. However you would be advised to get a Class 1 medical before spending any money on flight training.

Regards,
C.C.

Jarvy
5th May 2004, 06:50
Class one medical needed, CPL knowledge (exams) needed but you do not need to do the CPL flying course. Also at present you need 300 hours TT(but this may change) before doing an instructors course. Think this is correct for fixed wing.

High Wing Drifter
5th May 2004, 06:58
Not sure I agree with Jarvey! Before commencing an FI course (Fixed Wing Single Engine Land) you will need 100hrs P1 with a CPL or 150hrs P1 without a CPL.

Unless you want to be paid you do not need to have a CPL or the CPL knowledge exams. If you do want to be paid then you need to be issued with a CPL be this via the CPL or ATPL route. But you need to license not just the written exams.

You might also want to read this: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120715&highlight=Instructor+IMC

You should also read the revelant bits of the licensing regulations here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF

BTW, I'm training at the grand old age of 37!

BEagle
5th May 2004, 07:19
One significant fact is that all FIs are required to:

Meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) as per AMC FCL 1.470(b).

which means that you must pass the CPL theory exams.

Things may change in the future for instructing at PPL(A) and NPPL(SSEA) level, but don't hold your breath!

Regulations for NPPL Microlight and/or SLMG instruction are different and perhaps you might care to explore that avenue?

eyuppp
5th May 2004, 07:59
Many thanks to everyone who replied,

The information you guys have provided is useful.

Yeah, I figured that I'd need 100/150hrs P1 depending upon the CPL/PPL route, but I hadn't been aware that you didn't actually have to hold a CPL licence (CPL theoretical knowledge + done the training course).

Looks like first thing (as always) is to get hold of that class 1 and take it from there :o)

Thanks for the LASORS link and good luck with the training HWD (and thanks for the other bit ;o) )

Eyupp

D 129
5th May 2004, 22:51
You're right about the eysesight. Minus 5 diopters is OK for CPL now. (Has been for a few years). If you are close - remember to add any astigmatism to the short sightedness - then you need to demonstrate a stable prescription for a number of years.

At minus three you have no worries.

Cheers,

D 129