PDA

View Full Version : DB Transport timetables on Mobile Phones?

D.B.er
4th May 2004, 05:52
Dear Moderators,
I do realise that this question should be on a computer or tech forum, but of course it is much more likely to be seen and answered by Disco Bay residents on this forum. I would be grateful if you could let it stay here as I would guess that about 50% of Hong Kong based pilots now live in DB and DB issues are therefore very relevant to users of this forum.

Regarding the link at http://dbtable.hk.st mentioned on page 9 of issue 19 of Inside DB:
Has anyone succeeded in downloading the DB timetables to a mobile phone yet? If so can you read them easily? Are they available “in the phone” without connecting to the internet each time? I have a Nokia 6100 and wondered if it is worth the effort as I am not having much success so far?
Any idea where we can download the new (post 4 April) timetables to desktops?
Incidentally is anyone else finding that netvigator broadband is sometimes VERY slow, but at other times works ok in DB?

Regards
D.B.er

Tonto Kowalski
5th May 2004, 03:17
Hadn't heard about that website before reading your post. Just checked it out and downloaded the timetable. Works well on my 6610...should save some extended waits at the bus stops/stations! It even has the MTR departure times from T.C.
It is the updated schedule and there's no need to connect to the net each time you want to view the schedule after you've downloaded it to your phone.
I've found netvigator broadband to run pretty consistently where I am, always ok.

T.K.

D.B.er
5th May 2004, 05:22
Sounds like it is well worth persevering then.
Thanks
D.B.er

Freehills
5th May 2004, 07:10
Re: PCCW broadband.

AFAIK, it is one cable node per block, not per user. So, if not many are online, it is fast. But if more users login (in your block) bandwidth is shared, and it can crawl. OK, but it is the inconsistency of speed that annoyed me.

HKNET I found to be better provider.