PDA

View Full Version : Am I too Old (Merged)

GEE BEE r2
3rd May 2004, 20:22
Hi, all

Just a quick question. I am 26 and would like to have a career as a pilot, Am I to old to start my ppl and go on to have a career in aviation?
Any replies would be most appreciated.
best rgds
Geebeer2 :confused:

Jeffrey S
3rd May 2004, 20:57
No........................

Not at all!

Now...there are 2 ways to be a pilot. 1 is the integrated route, which lasts about 13 months, and the modular route which you can do at your own pace (which i am doing now).

Do a "search" on the subject, to get an idea of what is involved and what the professionals say about the job ect, so as you know what you're getting yourself into, and DITCH THE ROSE-TINTED SPECS!!! I have. Especially after this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120500) thread.

Cheers

J.S. :ok:

GEE BEE r2
3rd May 2004, 21:49
Having read that post on the rose colored spectacles, Reading loads of different
opinions on how people feel in this career still hasn't changed my mind.
I know its a massive investment to be made but when your heart is set on it, Then
it has to be done, I know now i should of started earlier but if i was not to start at
all then in my mind i would always regret it.. Im just glad im not over the hill as to
speak,

Cheers for the reply i will start looking on google now for the info on the "
modular route"

Geebeer2 :ok:

Flypuppy
3rd May 2004, 22:20
Check out the Question to the professionals (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119608) thread. Many of your questions will be answered there.

GEE BEE r2
4th May 2004, 15:35
Right im going to be taking a 60 minute trial flying lesson next week, I have two choices . Number 1 is Nottingham (Tollerton) and the other is east midlands airport. Which one would be the best to go to????

Any help would be great.:8

ecosystem_repair_man
4th May 2004, 19:08
I am finally (at last) in a financial position to start commercial pilot trainning. However, I feel it is a little late in the day, as I won't realisticlly gain my frozen ATPL until I'm 45. Although I understand that this is far too old to be considered for the airlines (who `close the door' at this age), is there any kind of professional work out there for a person of my advanced (although very fit) years? and if so, what are my realistic chances on the pilot job market?

gdnhalley
5th May 2004, 22:35
I started my PPL at 30, converted to a CPL/IR when 45 and am now flying TP's for a small airline. I believe some airlines prefer older pilots. So neither of you are to old, if you really want to do it.
good luck
gdn

D 129
5th May 2004, 22:41
Too old at 26 ???

Not at all. In my groundschool at Oxford (Modular) the ages ranged from 17 to 42. The average age was 26 or 27.

Most of us are "still looking" though !.

But do cost out your plans - In the current market you may pay £ 50 to £ 70 K for the fATPL and then another £ 20 K for a type rating and then even more for line training if you have deep pockets.

Most of my contempories are NOT doing a type rating "on spec". i.e. - We might be happy to pay if there is a job on offer but not otherwise.

But - 5 months since my IR and now over 40 !. You're lucky to plan this at 26 !.

Good Luck !
D129

Bobilio
6th May 2004, 10:16
Before you pay out a hefty sum, you should go and get your class 1 medical done, just to be sure your not wasting money and time.