PDA

View Full Version : US licenses not approved by EU countries

skyman68
3rd May 2004, 14:42
EU licenses passed in non JAA countries are not recognized by some countries of the EU(even if JAA is printed on your license). So what is the point to go to the USA for a CPL, if your CPL is not recognized in Spain, Portugal, Germany,...???

Ask the CAA for further informations.

Martin1234
3rd May 2004, 15:19
Is it printed on the certificate where you physically did your training or do they require to have a look at the logbook?

I've heard about the French aviation authority refusing to recognize a Swedish issued JAR-certificate (all training commenced in Sweden) because one of the check-rides should have lasted about half an hour longer.

BillieBob
3rd May 2004, 15:20
Ah, this old chestnut again. It's quite true that some JAA member states refuse to recognise modular licence training carried out in non-member states. Their argument is that JAR-FCL 1.015 requires member states to recognise only training carried out in accordance with JAR-FCL1. Since Appendix 1b to JAR-FCL 1.055 states that training conducted outside JAA member states "...will be confined to all or part of the ATP integrated course." modular training carried out in the USA is thus clearly not carried out in accordance with JAR-FCL1 and there is, therefore, no obligation on any member state to recognise the licence so gained.

It is quite amazing the lengths that some states will go to in order to avoid their responsibilities - the French DGAC recently refused to recognize an OPC conducted on the holder of a French issued JAA licence at a major UK TRTO on the grounds that the TRE conducting the check held a Maltese issued JAA licence. The reason given was that, although Malta was a full member of the JAA, it was not, at the time, a member of the EU - go figure!!

df1
4th May 2004, 14:53
BillieBob,

I am sorry but I don't fully understand what you mean. Is this applicable to license validations i.e. ICAO ATPL to JAA ATPL only?

I am in the process of getting a JAA Frozen ATPL - currently I hold an FAA CPL/IR which I embarked on way before the JAA idea was first mooted. If, having completed the 14 ground exams and the neccessary flying tests will this policy also likely apply to me?

Thanks.

Dan.

skyman68
4th May 2004, 16:04
yes, that s for you.
if you do your conversion in the USA and pass your CPL check ride in Florida, your JAA license will not be approved my certain members of the JAA like France, Italy, Spain,....JAA check rides MUST be done in a JAA countries to be "unrestricted".

your 14 exams will be recognized but not the flight licenses.

df1
5th May 2004, 09:23
OK, I think I understand now. Effectively, anyone who does a flying test outsude of a JAA member state is likely to be subject to this rule. Is this correct?

So, for example in my case, I hold FAA CPL/IR, but having completed the 14 exams I intend to fly the IR and CPL elements in the UK, at an approved organisation, leading to JAA license issue. The fact that I already hold a non-JAA license (and any concessions awarded with that in mind) has no bearing on this rule.

Is this a correct understanding? My apologies if I have got it hideously wrong!!

Dan.