PDA

View Full Version : UK Based 49'ers in court

Schrodingers Cat
1st May 2004, 10:04
Just a little reminder that the Uk based component of those pilots illegally sacked by the CX colonial management have their day in court on the 13th and 14th of this month......come along and watch the Swineboys squirm! I never thought I'd say it...but all press cordially invited....:E

jeremy
1st May 2004, 14:38
Good luck to them all - let's hope for some justice at last.

shortly
1st May 2004, 17:29
Well done pussy keep stirring the pot, but remember justice is blind.

Catans
1st May 2004, 22:54
Without trying to open old wounds I do have a question.

If possible, can someone please explain what happened for the CX 49ers to get fired.

I have no idea if it is possible to do in a forum like this since there probably are many twist and turns, but I would appreciate if someone would try.

Catans

Plastique
2nd May 2004, 04:49
I don't think anybody actually got fired.

Cathay simply exercised its legal right to terminate their employment contracts by giving 3 months written notice or payment in lieu of notice.

Simple as that.

It is hardly any surprise that almost 3 years on no court in the world has ruled against CX's actions.

Schrodingers Cat
2nd May 2004, 08:02
What an apt handle 'plastique' is for someone with no backbone....

The pilots illegally sacked by CX were given no written warning of dismissal (as accepted by the CX side in court) were picked at random (with a few that the company had wanted to get rid of for ages, quite reasonably in a couple of cases), included an ex Fleet Manager who had been begged to stay on in management, the Captain who had spent thousands of hours of his own time running the 'Sunnyside Club', a charity supported by CX pilots and , in their usual colonial way, exploited annually by CX in their advertising, guys who had just joined the company and those nearly at the end of their service...........all completely without the benefit of any reason as to thier sacking as demanded by the employment laws of the countries that CX employed them in.

Invertebrate apologists such as shortly etc. will tell you different, but those are the facts as seen.

As an aside, there are numerous companies, not only in HKG, that will rue the day that CX started this, for to lose and have to accept that the laws of the country that you are employed in govern your employment contract will be disastrous for many..........

There is also the little problem of the empoyers contribution to National Insurance in UK, which many companies allegedly do not pay as they maintain they are not UK based. Do not expect Gordon Brown to miss this opportunity to recoup some of the costs of the Gulf war.............:suspect::ooh: :ouch:

Engineer
2nd May 2004, 13:03
Did some of those 49 end up at EAAC If so must leave a bitter taste in one's mouth to be shafted twice :confused:

2nd May 2004, 13:21
Two of them did.

London Jets
2nd May 2004, 17:52
I think you'll find there was alot more then 2 that came to EAAC.

By the way, it wasn't just flight deck that got shafted, it was 560 people from all departments.

FlexibleResponse
3rd May 2004, 10:12
It seems a few “Johnny come lately’s” don’t remember the time line and may have confused cause and effect.

For the record, CX management sacked the 49ers in early Jul 2001. This was an attempt to intimidate the remainder of the flight deck crew body into submission and bust the AOA following the commencement of a work-to-rule campaign called “Maximum Safety”.

It didn’t work.

The Recruitment Ban was introduced by the AOA with backing from IFALPA in early October 2001 in retaliation to management’s refusal to negotiate on the return of the 49er’s.

It further infuriated the management.

Since late last year the management and the AOA have started working together to try rebuild something of a working relationship. Such a relationship is required, as CX has announced a massive future expansion that is limited only by the ability of the airline to train pilots.

No known offers have been made to settle the 49er’s cases, so the Courts will rule.

Catans,

You may go to the HKAOA page for some history:

http://www.hkaoa.org/public/hkaoa/industrialHistory_RecruitmentBan.jsp

The 49er\'s

http://www.hkaoa.org/public/hkaoa/resources/Information/Public%20Newsletters/BTLs/49er%20Special.pdf

3rd May 2004, 12:51
I think you'll find there was a lot more then 2 that came to EAAC

Sorry! There were only two of them there during my time.

London Jets
7th May 2004, 21:19

it was meant to get at you, I was merely stating that having been there until the end, I knew alot of the 49ers. There was alot more than 2 at the end.

When were you there? I was crew from april 2002 until march 2004.

LJ

Five Livers
9th May 2004, 16:49
Returning to the original point of this thread, good luck to the 49ers in their court action and lets hope for some justice at last

For those in the know, I heard today that CX's lawyers, in an attempt to support their weak position, have now written to each 49er setting out the reasons for their individual dismissal. The instance I was quoted was 'reporting sick while on reserve'.

There are very few justifications for instant dismissal in the CX conditions of service and calling in sick [falsely or otherwise] certainly isn't in there.

There is also a published Discipline & Grievance procedure that sets out how to deal with alleged transgressions. The 49er in question was never taken to task prior to his dismissal.

For those not in the know, CX has a very long and very dirty hand. The 49ers are effectively black balled from joining many airlines in Asia. To my certain knowledge, one of them applied for a 747-400 job with SQ freighters - in spite of 4000+hrs on the 400, he was told by SQ that he wasn't qualified to fly their aircraft and, ... please don't write back and ask why!!??

Good luck boys!

411A
21st May 2004, 02:22
CX/SQ have had this very same 'relationship' for over 25 years...and it ain't likely to change.
Wonder just when guys will wake up and realize the the company has the upper hand in these matters.
If you bite the hand that feeds you, expect to go without.:hmm:

bonajet
21st May 2004, 09:19
What happened in London last week?

boofta
24th May 2004, 05:36
The real justice taking place is that CX desperately want changes
to rostering practices, but have to get agreement from the pilots
association.
The CAD will not otherwise accept the wholesale changes that
are proposed.
So the management succeeded in destroying the union but now
has to find some common ground and compromise.
Problem is the remaining union members are the hard core, who
have already rejected housing changes.
The managers still cling to the dream of screwing 3 full longhaul
cycles out of it's pilots each month, but now there's no-one
to negotiate with. HA!

Engineer
24th May 2004, 15:52
Simple question Boofta how will this help the ex 49ers

411A is right the company has the upper hand and there are pilots out there who would willingly join CX or SQ

Dan Winterland
13th Jun 2004, 21:50
This topic's gone a bit quiet. Anyone know the result?

amos2
14th Jun 2004, 11:10
Unfortunately, nobody cares anymore...

that's the way of the pilots world these days...

a pity isn't it?