PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair seatback instructions

Doors to Automatic
30th Apr 2004, 10:15
Nothing to do with this incident but related to Ryanair's cost cutting and implications on safety I came across this rather worrying picture the other day:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/565351/M/

As I understand it this is one of their new seat-back-pocketless aircraft where all the emergency instructions appear on the back of seats.

Forgive me if I am wrong but this is virtually a brand new aircraft and already the signs are peeling off.

On the second row in the instructions are missing. Surely this is against the law?

How long wll it be before more signs are missing and how long before they are replaced? Make your own minds up!!!

NickE
30th Apr 2004, 10:17
Probably the sun making them peel off, since there are no window blinds now!:)

ALLMCC
30th Apr 2004, 10:58
They'll not need to replace the signs once they take the seats out! Each passenger will be handed a sticky backed sign when boarding and told to stick it to their back so that the passenger behind can see it. Then once its been read, it can be used as a makeshift window blind - problem solved!

GearDown&Locked
30th Apr 2004, 11:13
Looking at the picture, the city bus approach is very realistic. One of these days we'll sure to see the underground carriage approach, with people traveling standing up... more pax per square meter.

hobie
30th Apr 2004, 11:20
why are the safety signs printed on the back of the seats ??? ....
simply to try and get all PAX's to read them !!!! ...... an admirable objective ....... safety cards in the seat pockets might just as well be stored in the hold as far as many passengers are concerned

why are the two adjacent signs coming off the seat backs ???? ..... simple !!!! ...... a couple of passengers had nothing better to do than try and remove a vital safety message ......

Red Snake
30th Apr 2004, 12:41
Surely MOL has missed a trick here. There could be paid advertisements there instead.

Localiser Green
30th Apr 2004, 13:33
You can see also (viewing the large version of this photo at http://www.airliners.net/open.file/565351/L/ the "IMPORTANT NOTICE" above the safety sticker is missing on all the seats for the two rows ahead of the photographer.

Can't be that important then?!

I was on a Delta MD-88 a couple of weeks ago and the safety card in the saet pocket was for a 737. I believe this too is illegal and the carrier can be fined if the FAA catch them.

WHBM
30th Apr 2004, 13:50
Ryanair have had the instructions on the seatbacks for a long time now, not really connected with the non-recline seats. Saves having to check all the seat pockets on each short turnaround.

But then I seem to recall (haven't checked again since this got in the news) that although the FR seats always had all the standard recline mechanism they had been so restricted (need to be on 28" pitch) that you really didn't get any benefit from pushing them back at all. So it seems FR are just rationalising the situation and buying (presumably) cheaper and simpler seats.

If instructions have peeled off, does that mean the seat they were for has to be unoccupied. Are the pax safety instructions an MEL item ?

Like Hobie, I like the instructions in view all through the flight, gives a greater chance of them being read. Whenever I see an obviously experienced flyer take the card out and check behind for exits as they take their seat next to me, I always ask them if they are aircrew. And quite often they are.

msmorley
30th Apr 2004, 13:56
You can see also (viewing the large version of this photo at http://www.airliners.net/open.file/565351/L/ the "IMPORTANT NOTICE" above the safety sticker is missing on all the seats for the two rows ahead of the photographer.

Perhaps it refers to the operation of the overwing exits and the restrictions that apply as to who can sit in those seats? :ok:

Cheers,

m.

fintan
30th Apr 2004, 14:11
Looking at this in a saftey perspective for passengers it makes alot of sense to post these saftey notices on the seats.

Like ,Who actually dose read the saftey notices? my guess not many.

Whilst having nothing else to do after already having read the magazine you bought in the airport shop three times over aswell as the boring inflight mag what else to do than to let your head wander around and start reading something else besides the no smoking sign in the toilets.

Might educate us passengers in what to do if something did happen to occur.

Bigscotdaddy
30th Apr 2004, 15:12
As an aside, not much profit on that flight looking at the number of empty seats